Deleting a Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am running OneCare 2.0 and have 3 PCs all backing up to 1 external drive on the PC I am using that I have the issue with.

The issue is that I have a folder full of downloaded garbage from the internet (Mostly huge downloaded game installs some 10 of gigabytes and more). I keep them on a internal drive on my PC and for some off reason One Care decided it needed to back up these install files. So Now my external drive is nearly full and is threatening to not be able to perform further backups very soon.

I tried following the instructions to change administrator to have full rights to the backup files so I can delete them and Windows Vistax64 tells me that permission is denied when I try to change the permissions on the files. I am logged in with administrator rights (full admin user) I need to delete these files and I do not want to have to format the drive. That external drive has more than a dozen gigabytes of photos and music and home movies on it which I loathe moving as it will take hours.

Please help me so I can undo the rather odd protection that prevents me from deleting my own backups. I find it disturbing that microsoft will not let me delete my own darn files.

Thank You.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Dave, I stumbled upon this file that adds "Take Ownership" to the context menu in Vista - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/03/add-take-ownership-option-to-files-and-folders-context-menu-in-vista/

I've been testing it for a couple of weeks and it appears to be safe and it works great.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Dave:

Did you also try the other options here: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2 ?

-steve

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 1:32 PM
  • Thank you for the information.

I have to say it. This is. Disappointing. This is not user friendly! This is overly complicated for a basic home computer. OneCare is being sold as a all in one “USER FRIENDLY” utility. Having to spend hours searching FAQ and forums to learn how to simply delete redundant back up files is tedious and annoying. I certainly don't intend to be rude, but this is not user friendly.

Am I alone in this assessment?

Friday, July 4, 2008 2:34 PM
  • No, you are correct. Backups are way too difficult to delete and the process for deleting them is far from user friendly. I believe the intent was to make it nearly impossible to accidently delete backups but backup management is an area where One Care needs to improve.

Friday, July 4, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Ok,

The suggested options result in a operation denied, or can not modify access control list.

It seems One Care had decreed it loves my files too much.

Is there any way to simply tell the darn drive that I am the machine admin and take control of the file that overrides this one care security?

This is becoming truely irritating.

I really do not want to have to move 240 gigs off of a USB2 drive to an internal, format it, and move it all back just because of one care....

This really sucks.

Dave
    Friday, July 4, 2008 6:21 PM
  • If all of the other options failed, the next best solution would be to boot from a CD such as Bart's PE, UBCD4Win, or any Linux Live CD. From there you can delete the backups. This is certainly quicker than moving 240gb of data around. Or you can contact support for help. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Friday, July 4, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Wow,

Downloaded a SLAX distro that contained a pretty nice and easy to use graphical desktop alot like Windows, was able to delete the offending backup.

Thank Goodness

All set, thanks for the help. I am rather sad that I had to do that, but at least it worked.

I hope this is high on the developers list... a way to kick this problem in the pants something fierce, it really needs to be fixed.

No one has unlimited disk space to such an extent they can keep backups forever.
    Friday, July 4, 2008 10:45 PM
  • I'm glad to hear something finally worked for you. Hang on to that SLAX CD. You can do some really useful stuff with it like recover files from a dead Windows system and remove stubborn malware.

Friday, July 4, 2008 11:12 PM
  • I intend to hang onto that CD.

It was actually pretty nice, it booted up to a GUI interface even had full network support Smile

Friday, July 4, 2008 11:29 PM
  •  

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

I have added notes and information for missing info., and rearranged the info a little. This worked for me. I hope it helps you, and saves you all some frustration.

Notes XP USERS FOLLOW THESE STEPS FIRST, and print or put this info in your shared Doc folder so you can get at it when in “Safe Mode”

Delete a backup set folder from an external hard disk in Microsoft Windows XP

1. On the Start menu, click Run.

2. Type explorer.exe, and then press ENTER.

3. In My Computer, double-click the drive letter that corresponds to your external hard disk.

4. Right-click the Windows Live OneCare folder, and then click Properties.

5. On the Security tab, under Groups or user names, click either Administrators or your user name.

6. Next to Full Control, select the Allow check box, and then click Apply.

1. In the Windows Live OneCare folder, select the backup set folder, and then press DELETE.

Here is the missing part that fixed it for me:

I also applied step 4-6 to the computer folder just in side the OneCare back up folder.

So after aplying “Full control to the OneCare folder, open the OneCare, right-click the folder with your computers name, apply steps 5-6. That fixed it for me.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 4:09 PM
  • Can I use this procedure to delete part of a backup set? My external drive, which serves as the central backup for three computers, is mostly full so that additional backups are no longer possible. I would like to delete some of the older incremental backups to regain some room. However, I don't want to do anything that will make OneCare unable to restore, should that ever be necessary. I don't want to have to delete the entire backup file.

Jeremy

Thursday, September 18, 2008 5:04 AM
  • Hello jeremy, deleting part of a backup set could cause restore issues. About the best you can do to recover space safely is to delete the entire backup set from each computer, then perform a new full backup.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 5:22 AM
  • Thank you for the advice. That is an "unfriendly act" on the part of OneCare, isn't it? Don't the designers of these programs think about things like backup drives getting full? One of the supposedly nice things about backups is that you have the ability to recover an old version of a document that you had previously deleted. Removing an entire backup set throws away that option.
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 3:39 PM
  •  jeremy5848 wrote:
    Thank you for the advice. That is an "unfriendly act" on the part of OneCare, isn't it? Don't the designers of these programs think about things like backup drives getting full? One of the supposedly nice things about backups is that you have the ability to recover an old version of a document that you had previously deleted. Removing an entire backup set throws away that option.
    Maintenance of old backups is a missing feature for OneCare. Since OneCare does a single "full" backup and then all others are incremental, until you create a new full set, the entire collection of the full and subsequent incrementals are part of the catalog. If you delete zip files from the backup directory based on creation date, you may encounter problems in that the catalog may be referencing data within a zip file that was changed since the initial backup, but has not then changed again in subsequent incremental backups.

-steve

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Thanks for the "missing step" info, which I tried to apply. However, I find that in Safe Mode, explorer.exe does not display my USB external hard drive. When I return to a normal mode start, the drive is back. All of my other drives are present in Safe Mode, only the external drive is missing. Is there some special instruction I must supply for the USB port to work?
    Monday, September 29, 2008 5:01 AM
  •  jeremy5848 wrote:
    Thanks for the "missing step" info, which I tried to apply. However, I find that in Safe Mode, explorer.exe does not display my USB external hard drive. When I return to a normal mode start, the drive is back. All of my other drives are present in Safe Mode, only the external drive is missing. Is there some special instruction I must supply for the USB port to work?

At one point I had to re-install OneCare and had this problem. I could see other files, I could not see OneCare backup files on my external USB hard drive. Yet the memory usage was visible.

Maybe someone has a better option. I used a hammer.  What I ended up doing was reformatting my external Hard drive. I was lucky that there was nothing on my invisible backup that I needed. I moved a few file that I could see and, I wanted to save back to my internal drive. Ran the OneCare tune-up. Reformatted my external drive. Then I made partitions on the external so if necessary I could at a later date, I can just reformat a partition instead of the whole Hard drive (should have done this in the first place) and made one partition just for OneCare Backup(s) storage. That was a couple of month ago and everything is running fine.

As I said though. “I used a hammer” there may be better advice. I simple did not have the time or patients to go digging around FAQ’s and forums. Like many of us, I have very little free time. This method took about 4 – 5 hours to complete.

With any luck you will get some better advise, before you spend more than 4 hours searching forums.

Best regards, and good luck.

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:26 PM