Style sets (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• geetarman posted on 03-14-2009 9:31 PM

I just purchased Songsmith after trying out the demo version.  So far it's been pretty good.  I'm still trying to get use to the style set versions and how they relate to the song type I'm trying to create.  I have a question about the style sets.  I was looking through the "Styles" folder and found the style (.sty) records and two text files (stylesinfo1 & styleinfo2).  How do the records is the styleinfo files relate to the ".sty" files?  There are some names in the "info" files that I recognize from BIAB style sets, but cannot seem to figure out how to select or identify them from the style sets available for selection from the Songsmith menus.  There are way more names in the info files than there are in the .sty files.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:24 PM

Answers

• geetarman replied on 03-16-2009 7:28 AM

Thanks for the info.  I do not have BIAB (yet).  I might have plans to purchase it further down the road.  Right now I'm still getting the hang of using Songsmith.  I've written a couple of songs for friends and my wife (on my own).  I'm looking forward to using Songsmith to getting a few more started.  I'm still tweaking the latency.  The mic is a little "out of sync" with the beat when I play it back.  I haven't had any of the issues I've read about in other posts with getting the mic to work.  I run it through the mic input and it works just fine.  I also run the mic through a small pre-amp to give it a little extra "boost".  I've also found (at least with my sound card) I can use the line-in and Songsmith is able to recognize it.

All replies

• dmorris replied on 03-15-2009 7:00 PM

Good questions, geetarman...

You sound like you're familiar with Band in a Box.  Do you also own BIAB?  FYI if you already own Band in a Box, you can just copy any of your .sty files into the Songsmith "Styles" folder, and they will work fine with Songsmith.

I'll give you all the details, but the most important answer is that you don't have to worry about any of this and you don't ever have to look at those files.  If you buy new styles from PG Music, the "style pack" installer will copy all the style files to the right place and update the files that matter.

The rest of this answer will be for the technically curious; note that you don't _need_ any of this information to purcahse the style packs from PG Music.

The "StylesInfo1.txt" and "StylesInfo2.txt" are files provided by PG Music (the folks who make all these styles) that tell us some extra information about the styles: for example the name, the time signature, and the preferred tempo.  These two files contain this information for _all_ the styles PG Music has ever made.  If you purchase a Style pack from PG Music, and they've added new styles, their installer will update these files.

But Songsmith _only_ looks at these files the very first time it sees a .sty file that it's never seen before.  For all the styles that Songsmith already knows about (including the 30 styles we ship with Songsmith), we've assigned our own names and other information to the styles and stored that information elsewhere.

If you're _really_ curious, the file where we've stored the information for all the styles that ship with Songsmith is called "styleinfo.txt", and it lives in the main Songsmith directory.  This also has information about lots more than the 30 styles Songsmith ships with, but the names you see there are the actual names you'll see in Songsmith.

Hopefully that tells you a little about the styleinfo files, but I emphasize again that this is really "experts only" information; you don't _need_ to know any of this to use the styles provided with Songsmith or purchase new styles.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

-Dan

• geetarman replied on 03-15-2009 8:39 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I don't own BIAB (yet).  I know a little about being able to purchase BIAB styles and incorporate them into Songsmith.  That will be a little further down the road.  I also have some basic sound mixing software from NCH.  It works good for mixing multiple tracks.  I've written a few songs for friends and my wife.  Now I'm looking forward to using Songsmith to help with the process.  Once I get the hang of the style sets, I'll be well on my way to creating more songs.  I've also created a few canter patterns for our church chior.

Thanks for Songsmith.  It's a great tool.

• geetarman replied on 03-16-2009 7:28 AM

Thanks for the info.  I do not have BIAB (yet).  I might have plans to purchase it further down the road.  Right now I'm still getting the hang of using Songsmith.  I've written a couple of songs for friends and my wife (on my own).  I'm looking forward to using Songsmith to getting a few more started.  I'm still tweaking the latency.  The mic is a little "out of sync" with the beat when I play it back.  I haven't had any of the issues I've read about in other posts with getting the mic to work.  I run it through the mic input and it works just fine.  I also run the mic through a small pre-amp to give it a little extra "boost".  I've also found (at least with my sound card) I can use the line-in and Songsmith is able to recognize it.