To upgrade from Vista to 7 or not.....it seems WHS currently is more optimized for vista...thoughts? RRS feed

• General discussion

• unlike many in the internets...I have no problems with Vista, and my desktop and laptop are uber reliable.  I dont like the idea of a beta sevice pack 3 for my WHS.

That being said....I dont see any real reason to upgrade to windows 7, unless there is something i am missing.

Discuss
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:59 AM not a technical question
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:13 PM

All replies

• Without getting into the relative merits of Windows 7 vs. Vista,  I'll comment on using WHS with Windows 7 machines. Both my desktop and laptop were converted from Vista to Windows 7 RTM last month. WHS has been faithfully backing both of them up ever since. I've done test restores from WHS to the PCs and they've been flawless. Mounting backups on the Win7 PCs has been flawless.

The WHS box is still running PowerPack 2 and has not been upgraded to the beta PP3. The only WHS issue I've seen with the Win7 machines is that the WHSConnector service is not working after the machines resume from sleep, so the server thinks they are offline when they are not. That's an easy fix; just add a scheduled task on each Win7 client PC to restart the WHSConnector service after the machine resumes from sleep.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:35 PM
  • My initial enthusiam for this OS is waning already.  I am not only having the connector issue that Mark mentions (and we've both discussed in a separate thread), I'm also getting many backup failures and on two occasions the backup failures have left the machine seemingly "stuck" where it won't enter Standby automatically.  A reboot fixed that problem.

Anyway, there are things I really like, but I'm finding some app incompatibility that the Win 7 Upgrade adviser didn't warn me about.  Like the sync app for my Sony Ericsson phone.  So far it just locks up.

I already bought a new scanner because Visioneer never released even a Vista driver for my old scanner.

So I'm on the fence for now.  For the first time I am considering going back to XP and letting others hash out these annoying glitches.

I'd say if you're pleased with Vista, stay put for now!
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:21 PM