My Mothers PC has problems and I need to help her RRS feed

  • Question

  • In my Windows Live One Care Circle it tells me that my Mother's PC is missing updates from Microsoft and also tells me that She has a large number of Services that start up on boot that may be affecting the PC's performance.  She is running XP Home Edition and I am running Windows Vista Home Premium.  I need to take control of her PC and fix those problems for her.  I used to use PC Anywhere at one time and when I had XP Professional I would use Remote Control using her IP Address.  I know her PC Name but do not know her FQDN.  What is the best way to control her PC and get through the firewall on her end?

    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:32 PM


  • You will need to call her and have her open OneCare to allow the remote assistance to work. You then need to have her use the Windows feature to request help from someone, which will send you an email with a link to connect back to her PC.

    Alternatively, you can look into 3rd party utilities, but you'd need to install them on your and her PC and configure the firewall.



    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:20 PM