Back to the Future - Links to Photos RRS feed

• Question

• POSTING THIS IN NEW FORUM

How to find work-a-round to old add in WHIIST? Or what alternatives are there. 

Looked through a few links myself and maybe I am missing something but what happened to the TRUE "Public" folder. I used to use it for pictures and then used the \\myserver.homeserver.com\craigslist\apple.jpg and used the link to insert pictures into web pages. Kind of like picture hosting.

This feature was more important to me than drive extender.

Maybe this is just a path naming issues but not sure as the WHS 2011 forums are pretty empty so far. Doesnt seem to be that popular an upgrade.

This is not about creating a "public" folder this is about making a "public" folder PUBLIC my description above suggests.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:18 PM

Answers

• Just had conformation in another forum thread that the instructions to set all of this up is in the book WHS 2011 Unleashed 3rd Edition.
    • Marked as answer by SUNARISE Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:24 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:24 PM

All replies

• Same response I gave when you asked the question previously.

As far as I am aware, you can not have a folder that is open to the World via Remote Access. To access a folder you need to be logged into your WHS2011 Server. I am fairly sure that was true of WHS1 also. WHIIST got around that security restriction by creating a website on your server to serve up photos etc., which is what you are trying to do.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:36 PM
  • What you are asking about (publicly sharing files on your server via the WWW) was a feature of whiist, I believe, not of Windows Home Server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

That isnt good :( I was hoping there was anothe way to do it without WHIIST as I have looked at his site and he is not doing 2011. He wasnt happy about its path.

Has there been anything floating out there about a smilar program? 2011 Just doesnt have enough to keep me from going back to V1.

Thats to bad as 2011 seemed like a great start. Add-Ins I guess will make it or break. After all it is supposed to be for home use and making it function for family use. Lots of forum talk is about using it as a SERVER as you would a business server. WHen I told other people about v1 they were interested in the neat ad-ins that made it fun. It now seems to be headed for a makeshift 10 user buiness server app.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:06 PM
  • It's possible to do the same thing on Windows Home Server 2011, but you have to be familiar enough with IIS to set everything up by hand. Whiist just did all the setup for you automatically.

To be honest, you should read your ISP's terms of service/accepatable use policy with extreme care, because almost all ISPs prohibit public servers on residential connections. Even something as simple as hosting an image (as in your example) can result in sudden charges due to "non-residential" use or even termination of service.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:50 PM
  • 1.) IIS

At this point no idea how to set that up. That is why I said that the Home in homeserver really is lacking. At least the Add-In's in v-1 were oriented at who the target of home server sales was supposed to go after. Decision time - 2011 rollout in revearse. No wonder MS is having a hard time selling this version.

Anyone know of any great threads on doing this????

2.) Provider

I fought the fight with provider. I was able to win the fight because WHS is made for familys to share data. Even though 2011 seems to be more small business oriendted it is sold in the market for home use. I had to have them place notes in my account because evertime I have to call them and mention "server" the first support freaks out. I have to tell them see the notation on ??/??/2010 about this and then they just move on to issue.

All I can say is this method of attacking this with my provder worked. It took a number of calls but in the end Microsoft sells it as a NON-Business server software for residential use. It worked for me, at least so far. I think they monitored my bandwith for awile afterwards by something a tech told me. 

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:46 PM
  • I am not the only one who pondered this question as I found this from May on this same forum with no replies

_____________________________________________________________________________

It was from - James B R

Is it possible to use WHS2011 as a plan ol' webserver?

If so, how do you configure it to behave as one?

I have a DDNS domain name through that resolves into my home network but no matter what i've tried it always hits the remote access login page.

I'd like to do some very simple things like have a folder for pics and files that are available via a browser without forcing someone to login to the server.

I previously used a Windwos 7 box to do this so I would assume WHS2011 should be more than capable...

_____________________________________________________________________________ 

After reading this forum post:

ANYONE HAVE A LINK FOR HOW TO DO THIS EASILY AND CLEANLY AT MID-TECHNICAL LEVEL?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:44 PM
  • As Ken has said, you will need to set up IIS on WHS2011 to do that. If so, you might want to read this:

Website Setup

You might be better off using Windows 7 and something like Apache which is relatively easy to set up.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:01 PM
  • "... the Home in home server really is lacking. ..."

Unfortunately, I think you have unrealistic expectations for what Windows Home Server will/can do for you. For your specific use, Windows Home Server V1, out of the box, didn't do what you want to do. Instead, someone developed Whiist (which implemented functionality you used) on top of the platform Microsoft provided. That capability hasn't been added as "out of the box" functionality in Windows Home Server 2011. It's still something that a third party could develop, however. Or you could read up a bit on IIS and how to configure virtual directories, folders, permissions, etc. and give it a try yourself. It's certainly possible to do it. Just don't touch permissions and configuration that Microsoft has set up for what's already there.

Failing the creation of an add-in for WHS 2011, you learning how to set this up yourself, or someone else doing the work of figuring it out for you, I see no reason for someone (such as yourself) who's satisfied with the features and performance of Windows Home Server V1 to upgrade to Windows Home Server 2011. For all that I think it has a bunch of improvements, and for all that I would recommend Windows Home Server 2011 over V1 to someone considering a new implementation, if you're happy with what you've got today, don't fix something that isn't broken.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:10 PM
  • I do not think they are unrealistic in the least.

To begin with this software was supposed to be for someone with very little or NO computer expertise. Target HOME! All the forums are full of people expanding on its system beyond what is there now. The problem to me is that add-ins are not being created.  Take for example WHIIST. From what I read he was going to create the add-in for 2011 but was upset that MS changed the storage system. It went from YES I am going to create a version to NO all in 1 day. Would I pay for an add-in for this same feature YES! Did I donate to some of the people who took donations for add-ins YES! Just the fact that people created add-in proves that WHS (both versions) was not "HOME" friendly out of the box. MS designed it that way so they could let the marketplace fill the gap. You can bet if WHS 2011 sold by the millions and someone made an app that EVERYONE wanted they would buy the rights and add it themselves. How many times have they done this in the Windows world?

Does Microsoft need to stand up and find a way to promote add-ins? I think if they want to sell copies they need to. Why not another contest or something to get people to create. The Whiist author’s decision to not create an add-in was his statement to MS that they screwed up. In fact I said something to the effect that he didn’t see 2100 as something of any value to his home. I bet there are lots of people who do would find it a value and yet no one has jumped on the bandwagon.

SO - What is Windows 7 good for if you don’t have Office or hundreds of other programs to enhance it for your use? Now W7 has different versions for what you are going to use it for. The server family does to as it starts with Home and moves out.

From reading the forum there are lots of users pushing WHS out of the HOME use it was written for functions business related and far from the standard family needs for their home. In my case I found WIIST a great add-in but I am not a business and just because I use it to sell rummage sale items doesn’t mean I am trying to use it as a business server. Whiist used to be perfect for sharing my pictures from Yellowstone or Disney World with friends and family without using a sign in. Seems more than reasonable for a HOME situation.

I am 100% sure I can get IIS to work but it is something that I really didn’t think I would have to tackle. I made the mistake of assuming someone who had a POPULAR product would create a new one. If he chooses to sell it, well I have cash waiting!!!!!!!

I also found that the person who generated WHIIST won a 10K prize for his product. Funny MS didnt buy it from him and add it to Vail and beyond. Creating an app like this looks like it could make some one some solid cash????

LAST QUESTION: How many copies of WHS v1 sold and 2011?

• Edited by SUNARISE Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:17 PM Addition at end
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Just had conformation in another forum thread that the instructions to set all of this up is in the book WHS 2011 Unleashed 3rd Edition.
    • Marked as answer by SUNARISE Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:24 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:24 PM