Can I just buy a new Live Onecare CD versus updating subscription? RRS feed

• Question

• I can get a new Live Onecare installation for 3 computers for about $14 at costco vs spending the extra money for resubscribing through Microsoft.  Any concerns with doing this?

Friday, August 22, 2008 6:47 PM

Answers

• This will work fine. You do not have to uninstall One Care. To renew go to billing - https://billing.microsoft.com/home.aspx sign in using the Live ID associated with your One Care subscription, select your One Care subscription and select "Renew this service". Select "Pre-paid PIN or Token" as the method of payment and enter the 25 digit product key from the CD.

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:16 PM

All replies

• This will work fine. You do not have to uninstall One Care. To renew go to billing - https://billing.microsoft.com/home.aspx sign in using the Live ID associated with your One Care subscription, select your One Care subscription and select "Renew this service". Select "Pre-paid PIN or Token" as the method of payment and enter the 25 digit product key from the CD.

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:16 PM
  • What if I the Live ID is not familar nor do I know the password as someone else set this up on the computer and did not document ?  Should I let it expire and then purchase again ?

Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:09 AM
  • Helo Michael, in your circumstance I would suggest allowing One Care to expire and then purchase a new subscription. I also suggest uninstalling One Care when it expires and running the install cleanup tool before purchasing a new subscription.

Thursday, October 9, 2008 4:23 AM
  • If I have several months left on my currenct subscription, will putting in the prepaid PIN/Token just take affect when my current subscription expires?  In other words, if I have 7 months left on my current subscription, then adding the Pre-Paid Pin/Token will add on an additional 12 months OR not take affect until the 7 months are up?  I obviously don't want the new subscription to take affect until after my current one is over.  Or do I need to wait to put in the Pre-paid PIN/token until my current subscription is about to expire?

Monday, November 17, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Renewal takes effect on the date that your current subscription expires and that it can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare if you are renewing within 30 days of expiration and 5 days if renewal was performed between 90 and 30 days before expiration.

You can renew your subscription at any time that the current subscription has less than 12 months remaining before expiration.

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:56 PM