WHS Connector not connecting, Going banana's here trying to fix it. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Home Server Connector Not Connecting. No idea why.

Here's my story..

I have built a brand new WHS Server, specifications are:

M3N78-VM Motherboard
    Asus Am2 CPU
    2GB Ram
    2x1TB W.D. in a mirror raid.
    Onboard video.
    Parallel Port disabled.
    Toslink disabled.
    E-Sata disabled
    All onboard audio disabled
    IDE DVDRW

OEM Copy of WHS.

(I don't have the actual video drivers installed just the standard VGA)

I am using a PCI broadcom 10-100 network card.

So windows home server is fully installed, fully updated with patches (thats including IE 8, and IE security levels are set to defaults)
    I'm using the Power Pack 2.

On all my computers I use XP, I can UNC to it, I can ping the pc, it responds to ping (by IP and network name).

The computers in my problem are all within the same network all local,
    under 192.168.0.x network.

Windows firewall is turned off on both the server and local computer,
    there is no add on software installed on the server.

The local computer(s) (bare in mind i've also set up virgin instalations of xp
    in a virtual environment to see what would happen, so I'm ruling out third party software installed on my pc's).

When I go to install the windows home connector, it goes through the installation and then it errors out when prompting you to put in your
    server passcode.  It comes up with the "An unknown network error has occured please verify that your network connection is active and server is powered on. Then restart this wizard.
    I cannot even get the Passcode hint prompt.

Okay,
    Except that I ran the installation from my software share on the WHS server.
    I also have windows firewall disabled.  I read that you have to enable net bios through your TCP IP properties, thats done.

I have tried using a Linksys router, with tomato firmware, and also using
    a d-link router.

I have manually added in to my disabled windows firewall the 56000 and 57000 whatever ports required.

I have tried turning on the "Bypass proxy server for local addresses" within
    I.E.

I have added the WHS server to the hosts file of my local computer and virtual machines I've tested.

Now, I know what most of you are thinking, run the windows home server
    add-in plugin for network diagnostics, see what it says.
    I did that prior to re-installing WHS and it had a butt load of problems,
    I figured I had lots of problems, so I did the re-install.
    Now I haven't checked it but why would it be there any issues now after a
    clean install.

Any suggestions???
    Monday, November 2, 2009 11:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    first remark - RAID is not supported and may cause issues in the future, so I do not recommend this configuration.
    Do the system time and the time zone of client and server match?
    Is the user local administrator on the client PC and has read access to the Software share on the server? (If you use Run As to execute software from a network share, this will fail).

You could also check the FAQ How to troubleshoot network connection problems with Windows Home Server (especially the DNS related part).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:31 PM
  • I could understand that RAID isn't support, but when WHS is installed properly on the raid and it works fine, why would that disable the connector software from connecting.

All computers I'm logged in on are in the Administrator accounts, the time zones are both correct. 

I don't see how it could be DNS, but I do see an article about Nvidia drivers, which could be the problem.  However I've not installed nvidia display drivers, but part of the raid drivers are nvidia based.
    I'm going to have to check it out.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 2:55 PM
  • I'm re-installing WHS on a single hard drive, lets see what happens.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Okay, so I did a re-installation with the mirror raid, right after getting to the desktop, I hooked up a laptop with XP, and installed the connector software.
    It works perfectly, I haven't done any windows updates yet.

Could this be caused by a windows update then... Wonder which one as there are going to be MANY!!!
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:10 PM
  • The RAID remark was additional, because you wrote about that config - not in direct dependency to the issue.
    While it always could be, that an update is the cause for issues, Add-Ins, additional applications or services on the server (usually interactive installed via the server desktop) or rearranging stuff on the software share in the folder Home Server Connector Software and network configuration related issues are more common causes.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:18 PM
  • I've connected through the connector software now and i'll do the updates through the connector as apposed to an RDP session straight on the server.

I wonder if thats the problem, that I'm doing windows updates from an RDP session onto the server not through the connector.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:24 PM
  • This cannot be excluded, since manual initiated updates will also offer updates, which are faded out if upgrading via Connector.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:28 PM
  • So why is it then, if I install WHS properly, and i do all the updates through RDP session the connector fails, but if this works through updates with Connector, then why would an RDP session updates work over connector updates when connector has the update ability in it.
    What is so different???

I saw IE 8 try to be installed, I currently denied it.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 8:43 PM
  • WOW!!!!
    I CANNOT believe this.

So the WHS server works now, I did NOT do any IE 7 or 8 install, but I did all the windows updates through the connector software and it works.  Why does it work now, and not when I do an RDP session onto the WHS and run IE windows updates, I haven't got a clue.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:34 PM
  • So why is it then, if I install WHS properly, and i do all the updates through RDP session the connector fails, but if this works through updates with Connector, then why would an RDP session updates work over connector updates when connector has the update ability in it.
    What is so different???

I saw IE 8 try to be installed, I currently denied it.
    It depends on what updates you're doing from the server desktop.  If you stick with only High Priority updates, it should still work (since those are the same updates that appear in the Console).  If however, you are doing the Software, Optional updates as well, that could very well be your problem (other users that have installed those have had issues as well).  That's why the supported way to update your server is through the Console.  :)
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:42 AM