DNS Server help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Does anyone have a walkthrough for setting up DNS server for Windows Home Server 2011?

I would like to be able map the server music folder using different credentials, separately to all my server folders.

I.e. Z drive is for music and I want it to appear under Computer in windows explorer in the client PC and server folders to appear under Network in explorer. (They do already by default)

I believe if I setup an alias using DNS server, I can use two different persistent credentials without having to provide credentials every time I restart the client PC. I have setup a net use batch file to map the Z: Drive every time I login but I am looking for a more seamless outcome. I have also tried modifying the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file using this method to give the server two distinct names but Windows won't allow me to include the music folder I map using this technique in the music library.

I also have a missing domain name on my server. If I look at server settings, my domain is registered to the Microsoft homeserver.com site but using nslookup from the command prompt tells me that there is a non-existent domain.

Any help for this newbie would be appreciated.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:21 AM

All replies

• If you map a network drive to a drive letter (Z: for example) and select "Reconnect at logon" it will do what you want.

As for your 2nd question, have you set up Remote Access and confirmed that it is accessible from the Internet?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Hi Phil, many thanks for the reply. I have selected reconnect at login and have used the IP to map the drive using my batch file as follows:
    net use Z: \\192.168.1.120\Music /user:MusMap {password} /persistent:yes

I tried mapping the music folder under my username but Windows would not let me have a second mapping of the drive with the default one already in existence.
    Windows forgets the drive map credentials and the credentials for the home server folders at every login. They are in credential manager before I logout and are not there when I log in. The Z: Drive mapping works and the folder is accessible once the scheduled task has run but I have to give a username and password for the server folders every time. I only have the two logins on my server, one called MusMap and the other is my windows login.

I am able to logon remotely over the web using both firefox and IE.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:50 AM
  • OK, I am not sure what was going on before but I have been able to do just as you suggested; multiple mappings of the same folder. They are all under the one set of credentials and I have had no issues after several log-outs and logins. I have given up trying to map using different credentials as they are forgotten on login every time whereas the single default credentials are retained.

Just for others information, I am using Windows 7 Home premium 64bit and I find that Windows Home Server installation has enabled Remote Desktop Connection. It is not part of the native Home Premium version. The only login I can use however, in the remote desktop connection, is username: Administrator with the server password. None of my other administrator accounts will work.

I am still keen to setup a DNS Server if someone could please point me to a walkthrough. You Tube has several Windows Server 2008 walkthroughs that I might try if it is similar enough...

Saturday, December 24, 2011 7:20 AM