ClientSyncProvider for Sql Server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm after a ClientSyncProvider that can synchronise data to Sql Server. All versions of the Sync Framework thus far seem to only have support for SqlCe as the clientprovider.  I've seen a couple of other voices on the net requesting such a feature.  I was wondering if anyone knows of an implementation that has already been made and is available.

Thanks in advance...

Mick Lang
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 2:09 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:54 AM

Answers

• We did have an unofficial SqlClientSyncProvider that showed a sample implementation of a client sync provider for Sql (express/Enterprise). The sample was incomplete in that it didnt have conflict resolution logic built in. We are now recommending people to use the peer providers shipped in Sync Services V2 and the new Sync Services V3 CTP2 released. Your scenario is a unique scenario in that you are trying to sync a non db with a relation database. Can you please explain more about the custom store?

Maheshwar Jayaraman - WCF -- http://blogs.msdn.com/dotnetremoting
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:02 AM

All replies

• New database providers (SqlSyncProvider and SqlCeSyncProvider): Enable hub-and-spoke and peer-to-peer synchronization for SQL Server, SQL Server Express, and SQL Server Compact. Sync Framework automatically creates all of the commands that are required to communicate with each database. You do not have to write synchronization queries as you do with other providers. The providers support: flexible initialization options; batching of changes based on data size; and maintenance tasks, such as metadata cleanup and server database restore.
  • Thanks.

Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:13 PM
Answerer
  • I'd like to use integrated SQL Server 2008 change tracking, so I don't believe these providers will be suitable for my needs. 

My actual scenario is that I have a SQL Server Db as the client and a custom provider as the server.  I want the SQL Server Db as the client, as the synchronisation from the SQL Db to the custom provider needs to occur before the sync from the custom provider to the SQL Db. I thought perhaps one work around would be to make the SQL Db the server and the custom provider the client, then do two syncs, the first sync as upload only, the second as download only.
    Mick Lang
    Friday, July 31, 2009 12:13 AM
  • We did have an unofficial SqlClientSyncProvider that showed a sample implementation of a client sync provider for Sql (express/Enterprise). The sample was incomplete in that it didnt have conflict resolution logic built in. We are now recommending people to use the peer providers shipped in Sync Services V2 and the new Sync Services V3 CTP2 released. Your scenario is a unique scenario in that you are trying to sync a non db with a relation database. Can you please explain more about the custom store?

Maheshwar Jayaraman - WCF -- http://blogs.msdn.com/dotnetremoting
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Well at this stage its only a concept. The custom provider will be used to sync data to and from an ERP system.
    Mick Lang
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 1:46 PM