Home Server 2011 keeps reporting "The server was restarted" RRS feed

• Question

• I keep seeing "The server was unexpectedly restarted" event errors in the Dash board and launch pad but my server is running ok. Any ideas on trouble shooting this further?
    • Moved by kariya21Moderator Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:48 PM not a WHS v1 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Friday, April 22, 2011 10:30 PM

All replies

• I keep seeing "The server was unexpectedly restarted" event errors in the Dash board and launch pad but my server is running ok. Any ideas on trouble shooting this further?
    Is the date/time changing?  Do you know for a fact that the server didn't actually restart on its own (which would cause that error)?
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:49 PM
  • No the date/time is not changing. I have checked the event viewer logs and no errors on any restarts. It seems that i get this error when it is doing a backup of clients. When i see the event i have RDP to the server and it appears to be normal.
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:44 PM
  • could be bad sectors or blocks which will be used for the client backups.
    Regards Tom
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:06 PM

Is this a new (as in brand new) server, or is it an older one? The reason I ask is that it could be possible your power supply is dying. Stranger things have been known to happen even with brand new equipment.

Power supplies die in one of two ways . . . nicely or nastily. If they die nicely, they just give up the ghost and go quietly in the sunset and nothing you do will ever revive them. However, if they die nastily; your experience is one of the most common . . . The power supply turns itself off for an unknown reason, and then when things cool down, it turns itself back on, only to repeat the problem over and over, ad infinitum.

If you're comfortable going into your case, and if you have another power supply available, you can check the (misbehaving) power supply by replacing it. If the restarts stop, you've found your problem. If you're not comfy doing that, perhaps you have a friend who will step up to the plate. If the replacement power supply stops the problem, I would replace it with a more powerful one.

One more thing, though . . . before going to this extent, check all connections/connectors within the computer. I had an ongoing problem that was solved by tightening a connector to my hard drive. However, this was back in the days of IDE drives.

Good luck.

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:21 PM