Finding the physical drive that corrisponds to a drive in c:/fs RRS feed

• Question

• I have a drive that has reported bad sectors several times in chkdsk procedure(the net stop then chkdsks c:/fs/<drive name> /f /r).  It also never finishes chkdsk (after several days).  So far WHS hasn't marked any of the drives as anything but healthy so I can't seem to find it that way.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how I can figure out which of the physical drives in my server it is?

Thanks
    Greg
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:08 PM

Answers

• If you know which mount point is involved, the easiest way is to shut your server down and disconnect a drive (other than the system drive). Then restart the server and see what's missing. :) You won't harm the data on your server by doing this, though Windows Home Server will complain about the missing disk.

For future use, you may want to install the Disk Management add-in to Windows Home Server. While not needed on an OEM server (they're required to have drive lights to indicate which drive you should remove, etc.) it's very helpful for a home-built server, as it lets you build a wireframe representation of your server with drive positions indicated.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloudancer Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:52 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:48 PM

All replies

• If you know which mount point is involved, the easiest way is to shut your server down and disconnect a drive (other than the system drive). Then restart the server and see what's missing. :) You won't harm the data on your server by doing this, though Windows Home Server will complain about the missing disk.

For future use, you may want to install the Disk Management add-in to Windows Home Server. While not needed on an OEM server (they're required to have drive lights to indicate which drive you should remove, etc.) it's very helpful for a home-built server, as it lets you build a wireframe representation of your server with drive positions indicated.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloudancer Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:52 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:48 PM
  • I'm actually running the Disk Management addon and it's helped me track down things in the past.  I just couldn't come up with a solution outside of brute force to figure out the disk to mount point mapping.

I'll give the "remove a drive and boot" thing a shot this afternoon.  I have duplication turned on so hopefully this will just be a pull and replace operation.

Thanks
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:52 PM
  • I'm actually running the Disk Management addon and it's helped me track down things in the past.  I just couldn't come up with a solution outside of brute force to figure out the disk to mount point mapping.
    Sounds like a suggestion for the author, unless the new version includes that information. :)

You'll find information about data risks with a failing drive here. Given that duplication is turned on everywhere, the only thing at risk is probably your backups.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:28 PM
  • You're right of course.  It look like I'm going to loose some/all of my backups, but that's what I figured.  This first showed up as a continous backup service crash that I was debugging.   Wish I knew why the HDD died, but it happens.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:56 AM
  • Since the Disk Management Add-In can read the serial numbers of the drives, and these serial numbers are often sticking on the drives in readable form as well, this provides another chance to figure out, which is the faulty disk.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, February 26, 2010 10:09 PM
  • I have a drive that has reported bad sectors several times in chkdsk procedure(the net stop then chkdsks c:/fs/<drive name> /f /r).  It also never finishes chkdsk (after several days).  So far WHS hasn't marked any of the drives as anything but healthy so I can't seem to find it that way.
    How to link a c:/fs/<drive> to its physical disk?

I use this:
    From the WHS Desktop goto Server Management->Disk Managent and select a disk.
    Right-click it and select "Properties".
    From here, select the "Shadow Copies" tab: you will see the mountpoint for this disk highlited.

(btw: make sure you do not change anything: close the form using the "Cancle" button...)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, March 1, 2010 9:57 PM