where is my MS Money data hiding? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I only use MS Money to keep track of stock and option trades, which I manually insert every day.

My computer died.

I bought a new computer and paid a tech to transfer my hard drive. This included photos and data, but not programs.

I reinstalled Money sunset from the web.

I went to "File", "restore backup", "restore from a backup file". What I got was my accounts, but the data was only current through March, 2016.

I am missing 3 years of trades.

I think the file is hiding somewhere. I don't know where to look

I tried the bullet:   "have money search my hard drive for other money backup files. This takes my to: "sign in to open your money file". I have reset my password multiple times. It doesn't recognize my new password and freezes me out of the program.

I am at a loss. I hate to lose years of trading data history. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 9:18 PM

All replies

• Try these two commands in a command window:

dir /s C:\*.mny
         dir /s C:\*.mbf

If you find your files in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore, we can explain why and how to prevent that in the future.

I like Agent Ransack as a search program.

Also, while you are thinking about it, you should have some backups on other media. Your hard drive could crash, so be prepared.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 11:04 PM
  • sorry, I am ignorant. How do I find a command window?

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 1:55 AM
  • I downloaded agent ransack. and typed in the files in the box next to  File Name:

Hope that was right. 

But it didn't show anything.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Anything else?

PS...Really appreciate your trying to help. This is a huge deal to me.

Rick

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Agent Ransack standard search:

Agent Ransack would be easier, so there is no need now. However, to open a command window, one way is to enter cmd into the box that appears when you click the start button.https://www.howtogeek.com/235101/10-ways-to-open-the-command-prompt-in-windows-10/ has other ways. I use command windows a lot, so I made an icon that opens the command window with the font already to my preference, along with QuickEdit and Insert already selected.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 4:19 AM