Removed WHS PC backup by accident RRS feed

• Question

• In WHS Connector console I stupidly removed a PC from the backup list that I needed. I realized it right away, so no clean up was done. I did a database backup to an external drive using the method described here . 

Is there any way to retrieve the files from the database backup?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, December 15, 2008 5:35 PM

Answers

• The backups of that PC should still exist in the backup database until the next cleanup. There's no way to access them through the console, but you could try restoring the entire backup to another disk drive. You can do this either by installing a new drive in one of your PCs and using the Restore CD, or by following the procedure Olaf has described here.

If you try this, please get back to us and let us know whether it works or not. I have not tried it. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If this exported backup contains the files you need, have you tried importing it back into the Server, ie, reverse the process.You should then be able to open the backup as usual.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:48 PM
  • The backups of that PC should still exist in the backup database until the next cleanup. There's no way to access them through the console, but you could try restoring the entire backup to another disk drive. You can do this either by installing a new drive in one of your PCs and using the Restore CD, or by following the procedure Olaf has described here.

If you try this, please get back to us and let us know whether it works or not. I have not tried it. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Thanks for the advice! I didnt think to try it that way.

I tried re-importing the datebase...but the datebase I saved already had the PC removed from it. The removed pc did not show up on the list

Next I tried the recovery boot cd. When I got to the part in the recovery wizard where you select the computer I accidentaly removed was there. Next is where you select the backup to restore, and the list was blank.

It donest look good for me

Any other good ideas?

Thanks Again!
    Monday, December 15, 2008 10:47 PM