All backups lost due to unrecoverable errors RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WHS for more than a year now to back up three of my computers. Today there's a big red message that the backups are corrupted and to run repair. I run repair and get the message:

"All backups lost due to unrecoverable errors"

So, 50-60 backups go bad ALL AT ONCE on a WHS system with four hard drives in perfect working condition?!?! How is this physically possible? This really makes have serious doubts about the viability of WHS as a backup system.

I'm using a headless HP Mediasmart with 2 TB total disk space and 2 gigs of RAM.

Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:12 AM

All replies

• I've been using WHS for more than a year now to back up three of my computers. Today there's a big red message that the backups are corrupted and to run repair. I run repair and get the message:

"All backups lost due to unrecoverable errors"

So, 50-60 backups go bad ALL AT ONCE on a WHS system with four hard drives in perfect working condition?!?! How is this physically possible?

The backup database is, for all practical purposes, "one big file" (technically it's not, but it works like it is).  If any single part of that database is corrupted for any reason (i.e. a failing hard drive), your entire backup database will most likely be lost.

This really makes have serious doubts about the viability of WHS as a backup system.

Keep in mind that the purpose of the backups is to restore to your last known good configuration, which is almost always going to be your most recent (last night's) backup.  All you have to do is run your backups again to get back to where you were (although I would suggest you run chkdsk /r on each drive in your server first, then replace any drive that shows any problems).

I'm using a headless HP Mediasmart with 2 TB total disk space and 2 gigs of RAM.

Saturday, June 27, 2009 4:36 AM