Investment Lot Costs Don't Add Up to Total RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There

I am using Money 2003.

Individual Lots on an investment with multiple purchases do not add up to total.

I have tried deleting the investment and re-inputting but makes no difference.

If I have done it right here is screen shot

Sunday, November 22, 2015 5:37 PM

All replies

• I don't see a screen shot

Sunday, November 22, 2015 11:22 PM
  • What total, added up how, are you comparing to what other "total"?

Have you looked at the "view lots"? (Portfolio, select investment, expand (the little + symbol), More investment data, View Lots)? That's the lots data it's using.

Monday, November 23, 2015 2:44 AM
  • Thanks Dick and Barry

I get a message back from the forum that I cannot upload pictures as body text until "we verify your identity"

If I can overcome that I will post a screen shot.

MY base currency is not $ but I have an investment account which I have set up as a $ account 

Within that account I have several stock investments also set up as $ and all showing the same problem. as follows;

I have a stock with purchases at three different dates.

I have used the same exchange rate to the base currency on each purchase.

I have checked that in options that same exchange rate shows.

In "Holdings View" the total number of shares purchased ( shown when you "explode" to show investment activities) adds up to the total line for that stock but the three individual costs do not add up to the total cost line.

Hope that makes sense 

If you can give guidance on how to upload my screen shot I can do the upload 

Many Thanks

Monday, November 23, 2015 1:01 PM
  • I don't have any non-default currency investments. I also don't have a "Total Cost" column in Portfolio Holdings view, nor do I see one being available.

Assuming Total Cost and Cost Basis (what I see in US MDeluxeSunset) are synonymous. Assuming also that your Cost Basis colum for USD valued investments shows in USD therefore thinking the exchange rate involved for the Transfer source of the cash for the Buy Investment is irrelevant.

When I explode an Investment in Portfolio Holdings view, I also do see a total currency (USD in all my cases) Amount for the individual transactions. That column includes buys, sells, re-investment of dividends, etc, so any sell activity will complicate figuring out your cost basis. I understand your case to only involve Buy transactions, so that eliminates this complication.

Are investment commissions involved here? I don't have any testcase data to show, but this may be part of the problem in what you are seeing.

Have you checked in the Investment Account register(s) the Buy transactions (and any others, for that matter) are what you think they should be? And how that data aligns with what you are seeing in Portfolio and the individual investment explosions? You can also go to the Investment transactions report, filter it down to the account(s) and investment(s) in question, export that to Excel and grind the data to dust.

Here's a screenshot from a simple testcase I created. I see what I'd expect:

I have no clue why you can't upload a screen shot. Have you verified your account? This usually involves then sending you an email at the address you provided then you clicking on a link in that email that conforms for them it's a good email address. I don't know what they mean by "verify your identity". I have all kinds of strange things go on with my Microsoft Account.

Monday, November 23, 2015 9:29 PM
  • Here's maybe a more demonstrative screenshot:

Monday, November 23, 2015 10:30 PM
  • Alan, do any of the transactions for the problem investments have ReturnOfCapital transactions?

Is your file set to euro and the account currency set to euro? Are the problem investments all shown in the details as a Eurozone country?

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:07 AM
  • Thanks

I have done all of the various steps.

Your screenshot is exactly the screen I look at 

For the three shares the "Quantity" adds up but the total in "Cost Basis" does not equal the sum of the three purchases in Amount.

This effect is repeated for all of the Investments in that account. Even if I delete them and start again in that account.

So;

I solved the problem by creating a new investment account and adding the same data for one share and it works.

I guess I am just going to leave the problem for SCulder and Mully (sic!)

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:38 AM
  • With Money 2003, to do a quick file repair,  open Money with Start->Run and enter "msmoney -s" without the quotes into the box. This is easy and safe.

To make a more extensively repaired version of your file, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/en-us

For most cases, you could choose level 2.  This version works not only on US files.

Actually there is a version of salv.exe in your Money install folder already, but the one from that link is a little newer. May well not matter.

When you do the repair, you normally choose a new name for the repaired version.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:24 PM