Need Improved Restore Drive Process RRS feed

• Question

• Test 1: Wipe out some folders and uninstall some programs, reboot from Restore CD and restore from a recent WHS backup. Result: easy, fast, simple, restored PC booted first time and I foudn no problems.

Test 2: Wipe the whole drive by booting with a Win98SE floppy and using fdisk. Reboot form restore CD and attempt to restore from a recent WHS backup. Result: WHS insists on restoring to the second drive in this system ( which is an NTFS formatted drive by was not involved included in this PC's WHS backup), cannot work around that. Attempt to use the provided Disk Manager option to create a prttition on the blank drive, etc. Will not let me assign the drive letter C:! There is no help and there is no way Aunt Minnie is going to figure this out.

Suggestion: WHS Restore needs to detect a new (or blank) "first drive" and offer simple menu choices to deal with it.

Saturday, March 17, 2007 11:05 AM

All replies

•  basementboy wrote:

Test 1: Wipe out some folders and uninstall some programs, reboot from Restore CD and restore from a recent WHS backup. Result: easy, fast, simple, restored PC booted first time and I foudn no problems.

Test 2: Wipe the whole drive by booting with a Win98SE floppy and using fdisk. Reboot form restore CD and attempt to restore from a recent WHS backup. Result: WHS insists on restoring to the second drive in this system ( which is an NTFS formatted drive by was not involved included in this PC's WHS backup), cannot work around that. Attempt to use the provided Disk Manager option to create a prttition on the blank drive, etc. Will not let me assign the drive letter C:! There is no help and there is no way Aunt Minnie is going to figure this out.

Suggestion: WHS Restore needs to detect a new (or blank) "first drive" and offer simple menu choices to deal with it.

I agree that there should be a mechanism to choose which drive you want to restore to. if you had formatted this as an NTFS disk it would have allowed you to restore to that drive. Restore should be smart enough to find all the drives on a system, Format  the target drive  with NTFS if needed and restore to it.

I would think this should be filed as a bug instead of a suggestion as it would be to easy for mom and pop to accidently lose date on a secondary drive by not having all the drives presented with options on how to handle them

Rex

Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:54 PM
  • Please submit this as a suggestion on Connect.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 12:59 AM