Can't get update cause of wrong key? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Fujitsu Siemens Laptop. I got it second hand, but everything worked and I could update everything on the internet just yesterday. Today I had to format the Laptop because of some malfunktions. So I typed the same key I had before, only this time I can't update cause I have a wrong key. But its the same key I used yesterday. Just today I had to format and reinstall windows. What is wrong?
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 11:27 AM

Answers

• Decolieb,

Please follow the guidance Dan recommended and post the results at your earliest convience.  The results will allow us to analyze your problems in-depth so we may provide a solution. Curious did the laptop come with any of the software when you purchased it?  Please let us know this as well.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, July 16, 2007 8:11 PM

All replies

• Decolieb,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

[If Windows is installed]  Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, July 16, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Decolieb,

Please follow the guidance Dan recommended and post the results at your earliest convience.  The results will allow us to analyze your problems in-depth so we may provide a solution. Curious did the laptop come with any of the software when you purchased it?  Please let us know this as well.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, July 16, 2007 8:11 PM