Please restore older functionality, it was better. RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, why this behavior was changed, I don’t know but it is just plain stupid. Please fix this in a patch don’t make me wait for the next version.

Ok, I work in a location sometimes I don’t have coverage, sometimes I do not have a signal. You know not every has a signal all the time. If you are wondering sometimes I have to go into a server room underground, the walls are lined with lead. I don’t know why we bought the location it was built like this.

Situation, I am in this location without service, I compose a text message, MMS message, and I hit send.

Pre 6.5, message would sit in an outbox, when I got outside and got a signal, the message would automatically send. Works just like outlook when your offline. Good behavior.

6.5, you instantly get a error message that this can’t be sent, there is an option to retry, but you have to remember to do this when you get a signal. Also you have to remember to do this for each and every single message you have done.

Situation, other error messages involving connective, I am in this location without service, apparently GPS satellite positioning data need to update, because it is set to update automatically. This goes for anything that connects automatically, email etc.

Pre 6.5 There would be a little error icon that would show up top, if you click on it, it would tell you can’t connect, when you finally got a signal it would connect the little icon would go away. All was fine. If you started an app like the browser you got a message once, and only once that it couldn’t connect, you close the browser and move on.

6.5 Phone vibrates, big error message displays on the screen tells you cannot connect to update. You click ok to make the message go away since you can’t do anything else with this giant error message in the way, and as soon as you hit ok it tries to connect again and displays the error message again, you click ok and it tries to connect again and you guessed it big freaking error message right in the way making the phone unusable to do anything else, you can’t use excel, you can’t use word, you can’t play solitaire, the error message is in an infinite loop until you get some place that has a signal and it can check for any update and be happy.

This morning I am in the server room, I am using excel to record some serial numbers, I get this dang error message about cannot update satellite, data, it won’t go away so I can go back to excel. I have to come up from the server room, and walk outside and stand there until it goes out and checks if the satellite data is up to date. BTW WE GOT 1 FOOT OF SNOW LAST NIGHT, standing outside waiting for my phone to see if it has any updates just so I can go back in and finish working is not pleasant. This behavior is like this with anything, heck you hit the Marketplace icon which tried to connect, and it get in this infinite loop of trying to connect and error messages, you have to try to get around and kill the app, easier to just power off the phone.

Friday, December 4, 2009 4:16 PM

Answers

• My suggestion would be to manually shut down your data connection or go into airplane mode when you know you're going to be out of service range. This should reduce your error notifications as most apps check if the data service is active before they run network related functions.

If you've shut it off vs. it being on and not working it's no longer a situation in which there "might" be an error.
    DG
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Monday, December 21, 2009 6:26 PM
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 6:20 AM

All replies

• Which Windows Mobile device and carrier do you have?  There are aspects of MMS implementation that are carrier dependent and aspects of the behaviour of MMS on your device that are dependent on design decisions made by the the manufacturer of your device. In otherwords what you are seeing may or may not be specific to Windows Mobile 6.5.
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 11:48 PM
  • My suggestion would be to manually shut down your data connection or go into airplane mode when you know you're going to be out of service range. This should reduce your error notifications as most apps check if the data service is active before they run network related functions.

If you've shut it off vs. it being on and not working it's no longer a situation in which there "might" be an error.
    DG
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Monday, December 21, 2009 6:26 PM
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 6:20 AM
  • I've also forwarded this link to the team for review in case the Microsoft team has additional suggestions. We are marking this as answered for internal tracking purposes but feel free to continue to comment and review.
    Thank you from the Windows phone team
    http://www.WindowsPhone.com/TotalAccess
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Yeah, as for Dereks reply, no offense, but a lot of times I dont know when I am going to be out of service, and another thing I do not want to have to sit there and say ok you piece of ____ go into airplane mode, then now I have moved closer to a window, so now let me put you in regular mode. I had a windows mobile 5 phone before this, never was an issue. When I was disconnected from the network it just queued everything up and when it got connectivity it caught itself up.

Anyway HTC Tilt 2 from AT&T, same network I had for the mobile 5 phone. Same contract same plan, same sim card, only thing that changed was the phone. I tell you I am not a fan of this phone, going on my 3rd month with this phone it will be lucky to make a 4th. I started windows mobile on an old HP Jornada. I couldn't tell you the model off hand but I still have it at home an old black and white beauty I remember sincing it to my window nt 4.0 machine and enjoying every minute of it. Then I got the Jornada 548,  syncing with window 2000 and an all color screen, got it still at home and still works. There was another Jornada in there as well but soon there was windows mobile 2003 and on my phone. I loved it, it was great looking back I guess it was a little clunky. Then I went to Window Mobile 5, unfortunately susper secret Microsoft release dates, I bought 5 months before 6 came out, so I never got to own a 6 but 2 of my coworkers did as well as my sister so played with them plenty. Nursed that 5 along just waiting for 6.5 expecting great things. My sister and one cooworker went iPhone, of course i could give them a lot of ribbing because at that time they still couldn't even send MMS messages. The other coworker held out and got a droid. I said no way, I am getting this awsome new windows phone. Somedays I feel like throwing it agains a wall. It serious is a downgrade. Even the front screen, there is a Getting Started icon. when you click that it brings up help. Well you can scroll sideways as well and there are different getting started topics, the last one is remove getting started from the begining screen. You click that and that opens help,  it doesn't remove it, it doesn't take you to a help topic about it, and there is no help topic about it, basically you cant ever get the getting started off the front of the phone. Calender reminders don't work. Mobile 5 you used to be able to hit Snooze and choose how long you wanted to snooze, now there is just a snooze button, you dont choose you get 5 minutes. There is no choice on snoozing, heck the jornada back in the year 2000 gave me an option how long to snooze a meeting reminder.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 7:19 PM