Cannot get RebuildPrimary to start on system disk replacement RRS feed

• Question

• I have read many threads about replacing the primary drive but cannot get RebuildPrimary to run.

I had 4 drives.  I replaced the system drive, unhooked all data drives, and performed a new installation on the new drive.  I then hooked the data drives back up and performed a reinstallation, hoping that RebuildPrimary would recover the tombstones.

I have to do a new installation first because you cannot do a reinstallation on a new drive- the reinstallation option is there only if a previous WHS install is detected.

Unfortunately, when I do the reinstall, RebuildPrimary does not run and it shows the 3 data drives as not in the pool.  They are still called DATA and have all DE folders on them.  They have separate drive letters.

All drives are visible in the initial reinstall screen and the new primary is listed as drive 0.

I really don't want to do a manual recovery because I have 300+ folders under videos and it appears that WHS splits each and stores parts of each folder on 2 or 3 drives.  So it would be extremely cumbersome to try and consolidate the folders.

Am I doing something wrong?

Saturday, October 9, 2010 7:49 PM

All replies

• I have read many threads about replacing the primary drive but cannot get RebuildPrimary to run.

I had 4 drives.  I replaced the system drive, unhooked all data drives, and performed a new installation on the new drive.  I then hooked the data drives back up and performed a reinstallation, hoping that RebuildPrimary would recover the tombstones.

I have to do a new installation first because you cannot do a reinstallation on a new drive- the reinstallation option is there only if a previous WHS install is detected.

Unfortunately, when I do the reinstall, RebuildPrimary does not run and it shows the 3 data drives as not in the pool.  They are still called DATA and have all DE folders on them.  They have separate drive letters.

All drives are visible in the initial reinstall screen and the new primary is listed as drive 0.

I really don't want to do a manual recovery because I have 300+ folders under videos and it appears that WHS splits each and stores parts of each folder on 2 or 3 drives.  So it would be extremely cumbersome to try and consolidate the folders.

Am I doing something wrong?

You should have done a Server Renstallation with the drives connected the first time you did it.  Now you are trying to recover an install that had no additional drives connected to it.  At this point, you could try removing everything from the primary drive (by using something like diskpart), effectively making it a "new drive".  Then do the Server Reinstallation.  Otherwise, your only option is to do it manually.  If you only get the New Installation option again, stop what you're doing and come back and post here.
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 10:48 PM
  • A reinstallation cannot be performed without an existing installation.  I have another blank disk that I could throw in there, but I would not get the reinstallation option.  I have already tried this- that is why I had to disconnect all drives and do a new installation: you do not get the reinstallation option with a blank disk.
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:58 AM
  • It's incorrect to say that you can't do a reinstallation on a new drive. There are many factors that can make this problematic (drivers, hardware/BIOS configuration issues, etc.), but the general case is that you can do this. A tip: make sure all of your drives are configured to use legacy IDE/PATA mode, rather than a SATA mode.

Unfortunately, there's no way to rebuild the storage pool except by reinstallation. If you're in a situation where you can't get a reinstallation to run when you've got a bare system drive, you will probably have to do a manual recovery, no matter how cumbersome.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 4:59 AM
  • Under what circumstances would a reinstallation on a new drive succeed?
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 5:31 AM
  • Under what circumstances would a reinstallation on a new drive succeed?
    "The general case is that you can do this." In other words, most circumstances.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 12:04 PM
  • That's why I posted the question- is there any way to tell how my case is different than most, and if so, can I change something so that the characteristics of my circumstance matches that of most others?
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 3:58 PM
  • That's why I posted the question- is there any way to tell how my case is different than most, and if so, can I change something so that the characteristics of my circumstance matches that of most others?
    For starters, how many hard drives do you have?  Are they all PATA, SATA, or a mix?  Is the primary drive a SATA or PATA?
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 2:26 AM