Can I set Client ID for a collaborative synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone (probably Jin H. and JuneT),

From what I understand, a provisioned SqlCe client has a unique Client ID. I am distributing a SqlCe client with an installer and would like to regenerate the Client ID upon installation so that each installation would have a unique Client ID.

I can't find anything about that ID in the documentation. Is it possible to do this?

Thanks,

-SonnyZ
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:50 PM

Answers

• hi Sonny,

am assuming when you say "the server changes", you're just pertaining to data changes and you want to distribute the changes to previous clients via another client database, is that right?

if you're just distributing the server changes via another client (Client 3), Client 2s client IDs will not change. To them Client 3 is just another peer.

• Marked as answer by SonnyZ Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:28 PM

All replies

• You can create snapshot init copy of the SQLCE client DB and distribute as part of your installation. When the client sync first time with server, new unique clientID will automatically get generated. Let  me know if this helps.

thanks

Jandeep

jandeepc
    • Proposed as answer by Jandeep Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:35 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 8:35 PM
  • What if the client never syncs with the server? The client that I'm distributing will only synchronize with other clients. The other clients will synchronize with the server, but not any of the ones distributed with the installer. Does that make sense?

-SonnyZ
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:06 PM
  • The client with snapshot init copy of CE DB should be able to sync with other client which would sync with the server.

See more info at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd918848(v=SQL.105).aspx#_provision_clients 

Thanks,

Ann Tang
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:16 PM
  • So I provision a client (Client 1) with the server, then generate a snapshot of that client to distribute to everyone with the installer (Client 2).

Then when the server changes, I can provision a new client from the server (Client 3) that will synchronize with all the distributed Client 2's.

And all the Client 2's will automatically get their own client ID's?

And thanks for you help.

-SonnyZ
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:20 PM
  • hi Sonny,

am assuming when you say "the server changes", you're just pertaining to data changes and you want to distribute the changes to previous clients via another client database, is that right?

if you're just distributing the server changes via another client (Client 3), Client 2s client IDs will not change. To them Client 3 is just another peer.

• Marked as answer by SonnyZ Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Thats what I'm doing. Thanks for you help, Misfit guys! 
    -SonnyZ
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:35 PM