Same songs twice in firefly RRS feed

• Question

•  

So here's what I did...copyed an old itunes folder over to the server. Put it in the Music share in a folder called itunes.

Some of these songs had been added to itunes on the client pc that was also housing the main itunes data base.

Installed Firefly on the server. It found and is dishing up songs to all the pc's no problem. I did not move or copy the itunes  folder from the main pc to the server. But I did install SyncToy and ran it. I'm not sure if this happened after the firefly scan or after the Synctoy run, but now I have 2 and sometimes 3 of the same song showing in the firefly list in itunes. Not a really big deal, except I don't want the songs to keep muilitplying. And I would like to stop the extras from showing up as it does kinda bother me. Any itune or firefly experts....(Ken W ).... I sure could use some help. I must warn you I'm a complete itunes dork!

Thanks in advance,

Gene

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:18 PM

Answers

• Heh. I wouldn't characterize myself as a Firefly expert, really. Smile However, if you're seeing multiple copies of songs showing up, normally that means that you have multiple copies of those songs in the folder(s) that Firefly is set to scan. The Firefly configuration file is:

C:\Program Files\Firefly Media Server\mt-daapd.conf

This file will show you what folder Firefly is set to scan. On my HP MediaSmart Server it's set (by HP) to

D:\shares\Music

Which is what I would normally recommend. On your server it could be set to something else, if you installed Firefly yourself or added folders to the configuration. You should check for duplicate files under that folder. Depending on how you have SyncToy set to copy files, it could be copying everything from your iTunes library to the server every time it runs.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:45 PM

All replies

• Heh. I wouldn't characterize myself as a Firefly expert, really. Smile However, if you're seeing multiple copies of songs showing up, normally that means that you have multiple copies of those songs in the folder(s) that Firefly is set to scan. The Firefly configuration file is:

C:\Program Files\Firefly Media Server\mt-daapd.conf

This file will show you what folder Firefly is set to scan. On my HP MediaSmart Server it's set (by HP) to

D:\shares\Music

Which is what I would normally recommend. On your server it could be set to something else, if you installed Firefly yourself or added folders to the configuration. You should check for duplicate files under that folder. Depending on how you have SyncToy set to copy files, it could be copying everything from your iTunes library to the server every time it runs.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 9:45 PM
  •  

Thanks Ken...yeah that's how I'm setup to. I did set SyncToy to syncronize, so maybe that's what did it. I don't see duplicate songs in the folders for firefly. Mite there be a way to find the dups and remove them now that the two folders are sync'd? Maybe deleting them from firefly and then doing a full scan from the server?

Thanks for the help. And as far as I can see your the only one that answers the itunes/firefly questions so yeah your the expert!

Gene

Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:13 PM