Product key is expired? Win 7 Ultimate not even a year old! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I need some help here. I have two desktop computers here at home. I built my own desktop computer to replace one of them that had gotten destroyed by a lightning strike (let's call this system 1). I purchased Win 7 Ultimate 64 (full retail version) and installed it on the other system I had built for my sons (let's call this system 2). So while I was saving up money for the parts to rebuild system #1, I installed Win 7 Ultimate on system #2, and then installed Win 7 Ultimate on system #1 when I finally rebuilt it.

Everything was fine until this past Spring, when I somehow got a bad virus on system #1 that corrupted everything beyond repair. So I saved up money AGAIN, and rebuilt it just today. I go to install Win Ultimate 7 64 on it, and go to activate Windows, and I get a message that I cant use that product key anymore, so I come to the Windows website here to validate my copy and then go to support (it validated just fine). So I get to the support screen, and it asks me for my product key. I get it from control panel>system, and NOW the Windows site tells me that my product key has EXPIRED!

So what I need to know is if I'm screwed, and can't use EITHER of my two computer systems ever again with my copy of Windows that I paid over $300 for (which I swear I'll go Linux if I got screwed out of being able to use this copy), or if there's a way to be able to still use my Windows Ultimate 64 on my new system, and still be able to have my sons be able to use their desktop for school work and gaming?

Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:47 AM

Answers

• No need, as I found my issue the moment I read your reply. I had falsely believed that my copy of Win7 Ultimate could be used on up to 3 systems. What had actually happened was that I believed the BS from a Best Try (Buy) salesman, and should have researched what I needed instead. Now I gotta pay through the nose again for another license. Almost makes me want to take my new rig apart and send the parts back to New Egg.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 26, 2011 9:37 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:33 AM

All replies

• You cannot go to Control Panel > System for the product key.  That string of characters is the Product ID number.  You need to find the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) label that originally came with your Windows 7 DVD.  That label has the correct 25-character product key.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:55 AM
  • Ok, I think I typed it wrong: The windows site is NOT asking me for my 25 digit product key. What it is asking me for is my 20 digit product Identification number. I can't even do the chat support online because it stops me after I enter the numbers, says it's expired, then gives me this link: http://support.microsoft.com/SelectPID. I simply followed the directions which tell you to go specifically to control panel>system and security>system, and the pid is on the bottom of that screen in the windows activation section.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:03 AM
  • UPDATE: I just tried to call Microsoft to speak to a live customer service rep. The rep was Hindi, and could barely speak English, and after I told her about the problem I was having with Windows 7 Ultimate 64, she says something in Hindi then says that I have to call back in 30 minutes?!

So basically with Microsoft, is the customer always WRONG? Do we even MATTER to the company? Or do we have to cough up the cash to get someone to actually HELP us? Sorry if this comes off as crude, but this is ridiculous.

• Edited by rashed85 Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:17 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:16 AM
  • "rashed85" wrote in message news:5df2851c-dcf4-4bac-b9e4-5752a1bf9a4e...

UPDATE: I just tried to call Microsoft to speak to a live customer service rep. The rep was Hindi, and could barely speak English, and after I told her about the problem I was having with Windows 7 Ultimate 64, she says something in Hindi then says that I have to call back in 30 minutes?!

So basically with Microsoft, is the customer always WRONG? Do we even MATTER to the company? Or do we have to cough up the cash to get someone to actually HELP us? Sorry if this comes off as crude, but this is ridiculous.

Please provide an MGADiag report for the failing system.
    Please also confirm that you have NOT used the same Key on computer #1 as on computer #2

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:41 AM
  • No need, as I found my issue the moment I read your reply. I had falsely believed that my copy of Win7 Ultimate could be used on up to 3 systems. What had actually happened was that I believed the BS from a Best Try (Buy) salesman, and should have researched what I needed instead. Now I gotta pay through the nose again for another license. Almost makes me want to take my new rig apart and send the parts back to New Egg.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 26, 2011 9:37 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:33 AM
  • "rashed85" wrote in message news:29353c9d-c350-4f02-adab-9fe6b5492ae0...
    No need, as I found my issue the moment I read your reply. I had falsely believed that my copy of Win7 Ultimate could be used on up to 3 systems. What had actually happened was that I believed the BS from a Best Try (Buy) salesman, and should have researched what I needed instead. Now I gotta pay through the nose again for another license. Almost makes me want to take my new rig apart and send the parts back to New Egg.

Heh!

The only edition of Windows that has ever been available in a 3-pack was the Family Pack for Home Premium, which was strictly an Upgrade. I’m not sure whether it’s still available.

Make sure that you only purchase from reputable dealers – the great majority of cut-price deals from anywhere else are counterfeits.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:27 AM