2010: Commit button functionality in Portfolio Analysis? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know where I can locate specifics on the "Commit" button in the Portfolio Analysis capability within Project Server 2010?  I've been told generically that it writes data to certain system fields but I'm unable to track down any specific details.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Apologies, this might be a little techy :)

As I understand, the Commit button will do two things:

1. If there is a workflow attached to the various projects, it will fire the OnProjectCommit event so your workflow can pick up the project has been committed and move it along to the next phase in the lifecycle.

2. Behind the scenes, it will also write to the Project Server ReportingDB table called MSP_EPMProjectCommit. That table will contain all projects within the Portfolio Analysis and their relative decisions (Selected, NotSelected, Forced in/out etc).

Hope this is of use

Alex

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, June 18, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Thanks Alex!  I understood the OnProjectCommit connection but didn't know about the RDB link. 

Also, it appears there are system fields called:  "Committed Portfolio Selection Decision (Cost and Schedule)" and "Committed Portfolio Selection Decision Date (Cost and Schedule)" that are populated when the Commit button is activated and these fields can be added to views created for Portfolio Analysis Project Selection.

Have you seen any guidance documentation?

Friday, June 18, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I think the button also writes the values from the field "Priority" (only visible within the portfolio analysis ) into the field "Strategic Value" (also visible within the project center).

Can you confirm this?

Cheers,

Gunnar

Friday, March 4, 2011 11:37 AM
  • Hi Alex,

This al is true, I've read on some blogs that there is bug eith regards to the dynamic workflow and the On Commit button. Does anyone now if it has been resolved?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

Anyone knows if bug for commit functionality for Dynamic Workflow was resolved ever or any workaround?

Thanks,

V.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:53 PM