Replace Brand New XPPROsp2 CD That Has Corrupt Cab Files RRS feed

• Question

• When a manufacturer puts out a bad product, by law it is their responsibility to replace the Product, or refund the money. This isn't Red China, even though it has a lot of Red States, When the Ford Pintos and Trucks began exploding in flames they did not sue the dealers, they sued the manufacturers. BestBuy.com is not responsible for the fact that my new disk was burned in a way that corrupted some of the cabs._ And_ they told me they couldn't take opened software back, especially Microsoft's due to your no exceptions anti piracy crusade, Every single cab on that disk can be copied to my desktop, or another cd, the specs of the cabs are the same for both the cabs on my desktop, the reburned CD and the original Microsoft manufactured CD. Setup tells me it cannot extract the same list of 37 files I wrote down, no matter which of the 3 copies I tried. It does extract enough of the OS to get up and running, and the files that are missing, so far, cause my WinXP sound card with the XP Drivers for it to fail to set up. It says "Streamci cannot be found, please install this file and run the setup program again". Oh, and the Restore wizard is completely disabled by the missing files. I can set a restore point, write an email, then try to restore the premail point. Your own System Compatibility test says my computer is 100% compatible with Windows XP.So my XP compatible sound sysem doesn't work with my XP sound card drivers, And my speakerphone doesn't either. It's important because I'm very close to being fully quadriplegic, and sitting up at the phone for hours as a I spent 2 extremely long sessions with level 1 tech support left me exhaysted ----trying everything from direct extraction to  meditating on the Buddha of CDS trying to extract the files. But I found that there was a 38th file missing doing the 2 email sessions we did, The entire Drivers cab failed to copy as 1 of the 37 files on my hand written list of what it wouldn't extract. Enough is missing that I can't install and run software I need for classes. System restore doesn't work .Since the CD came out of a nice new shrink wrapped box, we can show the chain of evidence is unbroken all the way back to your factory. I did everything they asked me to, we had some very pleasant conversations about everything (I'm well steeped in the various schools of Indian Philophy and religion and was delighted with the opportunity to discuss. But we esentially wasted all of our time. At the beginning of the 3rd session, the technician began at the beginning and as I confirmed I had tried that step 8 more times on my own, he realized nothing at the tier 1 level was going to be of any use and that I had tried them all. I had the results of every single XP diagnostic on the disk, especially the one that said my system was 100% XP. I also had the results of every single MS diagnostic on the Gargantuan MS websitecomplex. And I had the reports of a slew of hard and software diagnostics tthat go beyond what you offer ready to email them, He said he was referring me to level 2 support, but I haven't heard a word frim level 2 ever, and it's wekk oover a week It's been my business to know everything I could about MS software as after I complete my survey and analysis of a customer's present system and needs, I present them with a list of hard and software to rebuild their IT infrastructure, it's always been MS I pushed. I've never bought office or os products from any other company for myself, and helped you beta test everything I could. You never sent me me my "Midnight Madness Tshirt, which was promised to everyone who downloaded IE4's big launch campaign. i didn't complain then. This is the first time I've ever needed _your_ help and you mean to tell me that you can't take a 50 cent piece of plastic, 40 cents worth of carboard and cellophane, $4 in postage and send me a fully functional copy of WinXPPro sp2? After all the money I've spent with you and the considerable business you got thanks to me? You want the world to know that you are willing to ripoff an honorably discharged Viet Nam Veteran who is stuck in a wheel chair, living on $1000 a month, still trying to learn enough to become employable and benefit fellow vets in the same despairing world of not being able to take part in most of life's best pleasures like running down a beach, climbing that mountain? Not being able to continue taking the classes and running the software so I at least can earn money enough to eat a healthier diet, buy my mother and brother decent xmas presents? All to keep someone you've trusted with expensive (when they hit the shelves) betas, and in a couple of cases at least full released candidate NT operating systems that were needed to beta test some of your other products?

You would rather stop my efforts to help myself and others and refuse to send me a working product to replace the broken product you sent me via BEST BUY and keep my money? And Piracy Prevention is your excuse? Well, this is not Windows Genuine Software you sold to the reseller. Please take reponsibility for making sure your customers get fully functional software that works as advertised. BTW, to be sure, a member of the local Disabled Veteran's Developer Network was nice enough to drop by with his copy of the same software I've been telling the guys to get and install it for a test. My sound card and5.1 surround sound speakers sounded just as good as they do on win 2000. win me, and win 98. The software that didn't install on my bad copy of XP ran like a charm on his CD. We are all now sitting around thinking thatWindows technology should take a back seat to open source if you won't even replace a single faulty CD for a long time customer and now leading DAVDEV down the windows path. When we get rolling, we don't need to get a bad rep selling software that once out of the box is no longer supported. Would you please do the right thing and send me a working copy of what I paid for but couldn't return thanks to your own policy on open opened software. I cannot tell another person you stand behind your product when the behasvior is take the money and run. Then I'll think I have Windows Genuine software.

Howard Dobel

Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:59 PM

Answers

• Teachable:

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Monday, July 31, 2006 12:25 AM
  • Teachable,

Glad it all worked out for you!

Bad CDs do happen, and I have purchased some bad DVDs, too, that I had to give back to the manufacturer for replacement.

MS also has a replacement program for those who buy the systembuilder/OEM license for XP, too, if the CD is defective, or even if the end user simply misplaces it.  The systembuilder/OEM from whom the computer or license was purchased can submit a form to MS and MS will send out a replacement free to the systembuilder.  If the end user cannot locate his systembuilder (if they went out of business for example, or the end user moved), then the end user can order a new CD from MS for $30 shipped.

Saturday, August 5, 2006 1:04 AM

All replies

• Teachable:

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Monday, July 31, 2006 12:25 AM
  • I feel it is my duty to come back to the forum and say thankyou to both Dan and Microsoft and let anone know who runs across this thread that Microsoft contacted  me and resolved all of my problems quickly, pleasantly, and I'm more than satisfied. They also sold 3 more copies of XP and 1 Office Pro. (the XP guys were going to get Macs until I showed them how well this antique 1.7 GHZ P4 ran Win2K, all the latest Photoshop and other fun stuff, and the 75 CDs I have of software that all runs so well on it. Then I gave them a tour of all of the different help and software Microsoft provides for free no matter what your area of interest. They have no idea how many people have bought their software instead of getting a Mac because of me. That includes business to. I'm a Microsoft Registered Partner, but want to get Certified, so I can earn $ from those sales afford an MSDN/Technet subscription. I need one, but $1000 a month is all I have to live on. So Thanks Dan, and MS.

Friday, August 4, 2006 6:28 PM
  • Teachable,

Glad it all worked out for you!

Bad CDs do happen, and I have purchased some bad DVDs, too, that I had to give back to the manufacturer for replacement.

MS also has a replacement program for those who buy the systembuilder/OEM license for XP, too, if the CD is defective, or even if the end user simply misplaces it.  The systembuilder/OEM from whom the computer or license was purchased can submit a form to MS and MS will send out a replacement free to the systembuilder.  If the end user cannot locate his systembuilder (if they went out of business for example, or the end user moved), then the end user can order a new CD from MS for $30 shipped.

Saturday, August 5, 2006 1:04 AM
  • I caint get drivers for for my sound card

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:33 AM