none
Pending software updates failure RRS feed

• Question

• Our compute nodes are on a private, firewalled network.  Only our head node and other compute nodes can access the compute nodes.  The head node can access anything. When I run the diagnostics, I get the following failure:
    Windows update failed to find updates. Exception from HRESULT: 0x80072EFD -2147012867
    I followed the instructions to set up a winhttp proxy, and running netsh winhttp show proxy on each compute node gives
    Current WinHTTP proxy settings:
        Proxy Server(s) :  masternode
        Bypass List     :  (none)
    masternode is our head node.
    Ideally I'd like to "broadcast" Windows Updates (and potentially other software updates) to the compute nodes from the head node.
    Any suggestions?
    TIA
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

suggestion A would be to enable NAT on the headnode and limit it to the Microsoft Update Website and Servers. I don't know whether the latter is possible or feasible to you since you stress that the nodes are firewalled and you wanna keep it that way, I suppose.

B: You can set up a WSUS and deploy the updates from there.

C: Download and install updates by hand  and/or scripts.

Summing up there is no built in feature of HPC2008 that enables you to deploy patches to the cluster in a centralized manner, WSUS does that. (IMHO)

Regards,

Johannes
    JH
    • Marked as answer by elansey Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:08 PM

All replies

• See if Method E of the following article is able to help you out...

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=836941

Regards,
    Mike R.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 4:33 AM
  • That was already the configuration.  Again, the compute nodes are behind a firewall, only the head node can access Microsoft's website.
    Any other suggestions?
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

suggestion A would be to enable NAT on the headnode and limit it to the Microsoft Update Website and Servers. I don't know whether the latter is possible or feasible to you since you stress that the nodes are firewalled and you wanna keep it that way, I suppose.

B: You can set up a WSUS and deploy the updates from there.

C: Download and install updates by hand  and/or scripts.

Summing up there is no built in feature of HPC2008 that enables you to deploy patches to the cluster in a centralized manner, WSUS does that. (IMHO)

Regards,

Johannes
    JH
    • Marked as answer by elansey Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:08 PM
  • We can't take them out from behind the firewall (as per our school's networking guy's request).

If I update the nodes using WSUS will the HPC diagnostics no longer fail?  Or does the diagnostic require that nodes can access to the internet?
    [Update: Read a bit more into WSUS - looks like this should work.  Thanks!]

Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:34 PM
  • You're welcome.

This should work as you can set WSUS as the default update site to query in your domain via some GP settings. At least for 2008 thats possible/necessary.

JH
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:08 PM