Trial version Shutdown in error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm now getting a message that the evaluation period for the software has expired and the server will shut down in 1 hour. My trial version purchased is a 120 day trial not due to expire until early July. What do I do now????

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:41 PM

Answers

• Have you recently modified the system date in your BIOS? Perhaps replaced the CMOS battery? Changing the system date like that is a very reliable way to terminate your evaluation period early.

You can try doing a server reinstallation, then reactivate. I can't guarantee that Microsoft will let you reactivate, though. It's evaluation software; they might say that you've had plenty of time to evaluate and should upgrade to the full product if you want to continuse using it.

To do a reinstallation, you'll boot off the installation DVD, then supply storage drivers for all your controllers at the appropriate time. If setup can see all your storage pool drives, it should offer you the option to reinstall, in addition to doing a new installation. Reinstallation will preserve the files in your shares, but you'll lose installed add-ins, users, OS customizations, third party software you might have installed, etc.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:06 PM
  • You could always purchase the software and do a Server Reinstallation as well following Ken's guidelines above.

I don't believe you'll be able to reactivate a Trial DVD.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:19 PM

All replies

• Have you recently modified the system date in your BIOS? Perhaps replaced the CMOS battery? Changing the system date like that is a very reliable way to terminate your evaluation period early.

You can try doing a server reinstallation, then reactivate. I can't guarantee that Microsoft will let you reactivate, though. It's evaluation software; they might say that you've had plenty of time to evaluate and should upgrade to the full product if you want to continuse using it.

To do a reinstallation, you'll boot off the installation DVD, then supply storage drivers for all your controllers at the appropriate time. If setup can see all your storage pool drives, it should offer you the option to reinstall, in addition to doing a new installation. Reinstallation will preserve the files in your shares, but you'll lose installed add-ins, users, OS customizations, third party software you might have installed, etc.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:06 PM
  • You could always purchase the software and do a Server Reinstallation as well following Ken's guidelines above.

I don't believe you'll be able to reactivate a Trial DVD.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:19 PM