How do I extend c drive to be > 60gb RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am new to whs2011.

I have 3 hard disk

c: 1tb   Windows home server allocated only 60gb  (where is the rest?)

d: 2 tb

e:1/2 a tb

Now

I have built this computer to work as a family server with photos movies etc.. however my d drive is a "Dev" drive.

I would like to install  Team Foundation Server 2010 + Sql Server 2008 + office 

The reason I want to to that is because 

a) Where I work devs are not allowed to insert an external drive or usb stick so I  need to access all my libraries of code etcss

b) other reasons

Now installing all these stuff will soon fill up the allocated 60 gb I have 37 remaining.

How do you increase the size to 500 gb for instance? Or what would you do to work around it?

Would you install on another drive eg "d:\Program Files(86) etc..?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks for your help

Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:00 AM

Answers

• That, as you have found, will not work. There needs to be contiguous space for C: to expand into so you will have to move your E: drive towards the end of the disk. You can't do that with Windows inbuilt tools, so delete E: (make sure there is no data on it first!), extend C: and then recreate E:.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by devBrix Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:47 PM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:53 PM

All replies

• While doing so is technically unsupported, you simply rearrange the partitions to suit your needs using the Disk Management MMC snap-in. or you can install the software to a different drive. Unlike V1, Windows Home Server 2011 doesn't really want total control of the drives in server storage. Indeed, they're only in server storage by virtue of having shared folders on them.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If I were to rearrange the partition I dont think Disk Management will let me extend my c drive . Extend is disabled there

any suggestions

Thanks for your help

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:20 PM
  • Above, you said: "c: 1tb   Windows home server allocated only 60gb  (where is the rest?)"

Normally WHS2011 installs on the C: Partition and uses the rest of the disk for data storage and normally allocates it the drive letter D:. Did you do some manual partitioning? If Disk Management will not allow you to extend your C: drive, that's probably because there is already a partition there so there is no room to expand.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Hi 

Yes WHS2011 did indeed create another partition and allocated to letter E in my case.

Now I have reduced the size of my E drive but then when I go on C and right click "extend volume" is disabled

Thanks for your help

Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:32 PM
  • That, as you have found, will not work. There needs to be contiguous space for C: to expand into so you will have to move your E: drive towards the end of the disk. You can't do that with Windows inbuilt tools, so delete E: (make sure there is no data on it first!), extend C: and then recreate E:.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by devBrix Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:47 PM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:53 PM