none
How to copy from PC to Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a "dummie" so please help with baby steps.  How do I set up to copy information from "My Documents" that I have added to my PC,  to a Laptop that contains some of "My Documents" already?  There are also new pictures in "My Pictures" (part of My Documents) that need to be added to the laptop.

I have set up a backup from PC to external Western Digital Hard Drive, and another smaller HD, but sometimes the Letter of hard drive seems to change, although if the HD is plugged into a certain USB port it seems to work just fine. 

I have XP Home on a Compaq Presario PC with  Office XP2002. The Laptop is a Dell Latitude D520, with Office 2003.

I get confused on exactly how to set up the two folders, so would really appreciate any help with this.

Monday, April 5, 2010 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hi tomtiger,

SyncToy is the right tool to sync files "to a Laptop that contains some of "My Documents" already", for it is created for such scenarios (syncing CHANGES). And further, SyncToy has introduced a mechanism to resolved the drive letter change issue since version 2.0. Once you tell SyncToy the current path of the folders you want to sync, you do not need to worry about the already synced file and the drive letter any more, the only thing you need to do is clicking the "run" button.

Before going further with the steps, would you please confirm something: can your PC and laptop access folder as network folder, or would you want to sync them indirectly through your USB hard drive? And would you like to only sync the change from PC to laptop (one-way sync), or both "PC to laptop and "laptop to PC" (two-way sync) (this will determine which sync mode to use)?

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 1:29 AM
  • Hi JiGuang,

I would like to sync them indirectly through my USB hard drive....is that done with a USB cable?

I don't have any kind of network folder or the such...just two seperate machines.

Mainly I want to do one-way sync, but if it is not too complicated, a two-way sync would be a help some times.

Thanks for replying.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:24 PM
  • I see. So you'll need to first install SyncToy on both of your PC and laptop: the one on PC will sync PC "My Document" to USB drive, and the one on laptop will then sync USB drive to laptop "MyDocument".

You need to create a sync folder pair on SyncToy in the following steps, if you want SyncToy to sync them in the future:

1. Open SyncToy.
    2. Click the "Create New Folder Pair" button.
    3. On the poped dialogue window, input the path of the 2 folders between which you want to sync. (The "Left Folder" would be the source folder, and the "Right Folder" would be destination, for one-way sync). Then click "Next" button.
    4. Select a sync mode: "Synchronization" means 2-ways sync, and "Echo" means 1-way sync. ("Contribute" means also 1-way, but unlike "Echo", when source folder delete some files/folders, the "Contribute" mode will not delete them in destination folder.) Then click "Next" button.
    5. Name your folder pair and click "Finish". Now a folder pair is created and you can see and select it in the folder pair list on the left of the SyncToy window. Any time you want to sync the folders, just simply click the "Run" button. (you can also click the "Preview" button to know what files/sub-folders would be sync, before syncing)

By knowing how to create a sync folder pair, you will do the following things for preparing:

1. With your SyncToy on PC, create a sync folder pair from PC "MyDocument" folder to the backup folder on USB drive.
    2. With your SyncToy on laptoy, create a sync folder pair from the same backup folder on USB drive to laptop "MyDocument" folder.

Then do the following things, whenever you want to sync files from your PC to lap-top:

1. Insert your USB drive to PC, open SyncToy on PC and "Run" the created folder pair. Wait for sync completed.
    2. Insert your USP drive to lap-top, open SyncToy on lap-top and "Run" the created folder pair. Wait for sync completed.
    3. If you want 2-ways sync, please do not forget to sync between PC and USP again so that PC will get the change on lap-top.

To switch between 1-way sync and 2-ways sync, the only thing you need to care about is setting the sync mode between "Syncronization" and "Echo". There also some advanced settings may help you, and you can find more details in the help file. 

You may need to close all the other programs which are accessing the files in you sync folder, during syncing.

Hope you can enjoy it.

Thanks

Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:07 AM
  • Thanks so much.  I believe I understand...I did tell you that I am one of the "dummies"!  When you say "insert your USB drive to PC", are you talking about a "thumb drive" type of thing, or do you mean an external Hard Drive, such as the Western Digital HD that I have for the backups now?   I keep the WD hard drive's USB cable plugged into the back of my PC, ( not the easiest to get to for these old bones)  but not into the WD all the time...only when I am running the backup....so that a computer crash or lightning strike won't "get" the WD also.  If I should use the WD then I would need to have a USB cable to attach the WD to the laptop....is that correct?   It seems like a 16 GB thumb drive would be easier to use. 

The set-up I have now for left folder is:   <  C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My documents >

The Right folder is:  < H:\Backup\My Documents >

Is this the correct way to set up the new folder pair?   I don't know what letters are on the USB ports on the laptop....I will have to find that out.  I believe one is "E", so that would go on the right folder?

I do appreciate your very complete instructions...I just wanted to check with you to be sure I do understand. My original sync for PC was set up by a friend who is not available to help me with this, and when I tried to do another set of folders, I messed it up.  You are very kind to give such clear instructions.

Thanks again.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Hi tomtiger,

Sorry that my expression confused you.

I meant your external Hard Drive when I said "USB drive" (USB cable would be a convenient way to connect your external Hard Drive to your PC or lab-top, that does not mean the only way. You can choose the best way you think. The key is to let Windows be able to access the backup folder). And your folder paths of sync folder pair on PC seem correct.

Then, about WD to laptop, yes, USB cable could be a good way to connect them as long as your lap-top has USB port for the USB cable. One thing to notice is, as I said, you need to install SyncToy on your laptop, too. You need a SyncToy on lap-top to sync files from WD to laptop (of course the associated folder pair, between the WD folder and laptop folder, sould be set by SyncToy on laptop, NOT the SyncToy on PC). The path of WD backup folder you need to tell SyncToy, is the one at the very moment you are creating SyncToy folder pair on laptop. Then you will not care about drive letter of WD on laptop any more, just click the "Run" button of the SyncToy on laptop. The external Hard Drive need to be connected to laptop when you are creating any folder pair on the laptop to sync files from a folder in the external Hard Drive.

And when I said "backup" folder, I meant the folder is for backup, you do not have to name this folder as "backup". You can give it an appropriate name. But please do not change the sync folder name once the folder pair has been created (however, you can change the name of sub-folders of your sync folder).

Please feel free to tell me, if there are anything confusing. I will try improve my expression to make it clearer. 

Thanks again for choosing SyncToy!

Friday, April 9, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Hi JiGuang,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.  I am beginning to really see how to do this.  I will install SyncToy on my laptop, then with the files from my PC in the backup of my external WD hard drive, I will set up a folder pair with the WD files being the left folder, and the laptop being the right folder set....is that correct?  Now I need to get another USB cable to make it easier to connect.

I told you that I am a "dummie" about computers, and sometimes I do not understand because I just do not know what some things really mean, but you are so good to help me to learn about this.  Computer terms are a whole new language to me...but I am determined to learn!  When I have complete instructions I can do something....and you give me complete instructions....some people assume that a person has some knowledge when they really don't have that understanding, so there is a missing link.

Thank you so much for being here to help me.  I do appreciate your patience.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Hi tomtiger,

Yes, I think your steps are correct.

And please do not worry about computer knowledge and computer terms. They are often confusing me, too. :) In fact, it seems that everybody is suffering such confusion. There are too many different sayings that have a same meaning. Thus enough communication is always helpful.

Thanks

Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:59 AM
  • Hi JiGuang,

I tried to download SyncToy to my Laptop, but got the wrong one...it downloaded but did not install. Now I cannot find where it is downloaded so I can remove it and install the correct version.  I should have done the v21_x86.exe, just as is on my PC, but I did not realize that at the time.  Can you tell me where to find the download.  It did show me that it was on "C", but I could not get the folder.  I have run search but found nothing.  (I told you I ama a "dummie"!)

Thanks for your help and patience.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Hi Again JiGuang!  I have really been searching and finally found two "downloads" in the Prefetch folder, which I deleted.  So now I guess it is safe to download the correct program.

I have another question....the "My Documents" on my Laptop has some folders that are not on my PC, and I want to keep all the information that is on the Laptop.  I do not want SyncToy to remove it...just add to it so that I have a back-up of what is on my PC, along with information that was already on my Laptop.  Please tell me how to do this so that I do not mess this up.  I will back-up my Laptop to a thumb drive before I start any of this.

Thanks so very, very much for your help.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:41 PM
  • “There are too many different sayings that have a same meaning.”

....and too many names etc. that are the same but meaning different things...
    something MS is notorious for, and doesn’t seem to be getting any better at
    naming conventions as the years go by. I have often (sometimes mostly
    jokingly) suggested MS hire/assemble some kind of ‘language police’ within
    their organizations to help remove and prevent so much ambiguity in this
    regard. :)

Art [artfudd] Folden
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    "JiGuang" wrote in message news:65cc9e67-4593-48e1-a388-4412784a1ae8...

Hi tomtiger,

And please do not worry about computer knowledge and computer terms. They
    are often confusing me, too. :) In fact, it seems that everybody is
    suffering such confusion. There are too many different sayings that have a
    same meaning. Thus enough communication is always helpful.

Thanks

Art..
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:21 PM
  • “There are too many different sayings that have a same meaning.”

....and too many names etc. that are the same but meaning different things...
    something MS is notorious for, and doesn’t seem to be getting any better at
    naming conventions as the years go by. I have often (sometimes mostly
    jokingly) suggested MS hire/assemble some kind of ‘language police’ within
    their organizations to help remove and prevent so much ambiguity in this
    regard. :)

Art [artfudd] Folden
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    "JiGuang" wrote in message news:65cc9e67-4593-48e1-a388-4412784a1ae8...

Hi tomtiger,

And please do not worry about computer knowledge and computer terms. They
    are often confusing me, too. :) In fact, it seems that everybody is
    suffering such confusion. There are too many different sayings that have a
    same meaning. Thus enough communication is always helpful.

Thanks

Art..

Hi Art,

That's a good point!

But please understand that only one single corporation or organization has not enough ability to ideally reduce the confusion, because people with different languange backgrounds, culter backgrounds, tech backgrounds or business backgrounds will have different terminations and different sayings. The "language police" or something may help Microsoft reducing the cost from the confusion, but this will make most of its costumers problems, especially the costumers who have different backgrounds. (I think the previous posts in this thread could be a typical instance. ) So people-to-people communication is always necessary. Maybe some applications will come to help people against the confusion.  

Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience.

Monday, April 19, 2010 1:16 AM
  • Hi tomtiger,

Sorry for replying late! It was a busy week for me. And glad to know that you have resolve the installing problem yourself.

And about the new question, the answer depends on whether you want your PC get the such folders from your laptop or not.

If you want PC to get such folders, the default setting of "Synchronize" mode can work for you. Such folders will be considered as newly added folders and will be copied to the other side.

On the other hand, if you do not want such folders to be copied to your PC, you can try excluding these folders from current sync folder pair. To approach this, you need to click the "Change options..." link button for the "Change options" dialog. Then you will see a link button named "Select subfolder", click it, and uncheck the folders you want to exclude in the folder tree. Click "OK". Then SyncToy will ignore these folders.

One thing to notice, is that you need to make sure that SyncToy has enough permission to read/write the sync folders. Some users report that sync files may be treaded as deleted ones if SyncToy missed the permission to related sync folder. (We are still verifying this. ) If you want more safety, you can try the "Contribute" mode.

There is an easy way to check whether your SyncToy could work, the "Preview" feature. You can click the "Preview" button in the right button of the main window, and see what actions would be applied to files/folders in your sync folders, although they are not realy applied. You can prevent the unexpected deletions before they really happen, with the help of "Preview" feature.

Thanks

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:01 AM
  • Hi JiGuang,  

I have had one of those weeks too!  Thank you so much for this clear explanatiion for what I need to do.  I will have to carefully examine all my folders and see what will be the best choice.  The "Contribute" does sound safer for the time being.  I got a 16 GB thumb drive to backup my laptop and I am going to work on this in the coming days.

I really do appreciate your help with this and the easy way you explaine how SyncToy works.  When I get this set up, I will let you know.

Thanks again!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:05 PM