Deleting thumbnail or Hiding them RRS feed

• Question

• Description:
    Something has made a massive amount of thumbnails on my WHS. I don't know if it was Webguide or WHS that did this. The files look like this. ".filename.jpg.jpg". These files are hidden and were obviously not meant to be seen. Unfortunately on the Remote Web browser of WHS you see all these thumbnails listed when browsing through the pics. This is increasingly annoying when I show off my pics to friends but accidently click on a thumbnail. How can I keep hidden files from the view in the web view or how can I delete those thumbnails. furthermore does anyone know what program made them?

Problem:
    Thumbnail Files showing up on web browser in fotos section.

Question:
    How to delete/hide those thumbnails from the web view?
    Cliff
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:16 PM

Answers

• This is a distirbing point. Unfortunately i'd rather not go through hundreds of folders to delete all these rediculous thumbnails that got created. How else can I delete them recursively?

You would have to delete them through the UNC (\\server\share) path.  It might be WebGuide (I don't know since I never used it, but I do know it's horribly out-of-date by now, meaning that app hasn't been updated in over a year and 2 Power Packs ago.)

I have already done this and while I'm not trying to discredit your point I highly doubt I'll cause any major issues other then file discontiguity amongst files I could care less about.

The point is that, basically, the file structure of WHS doesn't work like other OSes and what you did could cause problems down the line (for example, you may start getting File Conflict errors).  Am I guaranteeing that it will happen?  No.  Could it happen?  Yes.
    Since all those files were very small I didn't eat up much space. Still how would you recommend I have removed them? Incase they come back....

All interaction with WHS shares is done through the UNC path.  You should try to find a way to remove them through that path (perhaps doing it from a mapped drive on your client, for example).  (Although, frankly, if it's that big of a concern for you, you should focus on removing the source of the problem.)

That folder does have duplication turned on so it's likely those thumbnails have been duplicated wherever windows decides to do that. Should I go clean that up also?
    Cliff
    I wouldn't worry about it at this point (again, the less interaction with the server desktop, the better).  If what you did caused problems, you will probably find out by getting File Conflict errors in the Console.
    • Marked as answer by Cliffr Monday, August 3, 2009 12:45 AM
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Monday, August 3, 2009 1:19 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 12:42 AM

All replies

• If no one gets back to me I'm going to run the following command on D:\shares\photos\my photos\

"del .*.jpg.jpg  /AH /P /S"
    Cliff
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Description:
    Something has made a massive amount of thumbnails on my WHS. I don't know if it was Webguide or WHS that did this. The files look like this. ".filename.jpg.jpg". These files are hidden and were obviously not meant to be seen. Unfortunately on the Remote Web browser of WHS you see all these thumbnails listed when browsing through the pics. This is increasingly annoying when I show off my pics to friends but accidently click on a thumbnail. How can I keep hidden files from the view in the web view or how can I delete those thumbnails.

You can't hide them through Remote Access (it shows all files, including hidden files).  Although you can delete them, chances are they will come back next time you open that folder from within your LAN using whatever app created them in the first place.  (I've never seen xxxxxxxx.jpg.jpg, but xxxxxxxx.db, such as thumbs.db, is common.)

furthermore does anyone know what program made them?

I don't know about the double extension (.jpg.jpg) you're seeing, but Windows Media Player creates thumbs.db (if you've come across that one) and Windows Media Center creates (if I remember correctly) ehthumbs.db.

Problem:
    Thumbnail Files showing up on web browser in fotos section.

Question:
    How to delete/hide those thumbnails from the web view?
    Cliff

Monday, August 3, 2009 12:13 AM
  • If no one gets back to me I'm going to run the following command on D:\shares\photos\my photos\

"del .*.jpg.jpg  /AH /P /S"
    Cliff

Accessing the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.  In addition, deleting files in that matter is unsupported and not recommended because you are effectively "bypassing" Drive Extender (that's not where the actual files are stored) and that action might have unexpected consequences.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 12:15 AM
  • Thanks so much for the help kariya21. This WHS is brand new. All I've installed is the lights Out addon, Webuide, and Wiis. I copied all my photos using robocopy from my internal PC's to the WHS.

I feel like something on WHS did this perhaps during the installation of one of those add-ins. At any rate I've removed them now and I'll keep an eye out if they come up again. If they never come back I'll mark the question as answered. Thanks again for the help.
    • Edited by Cliffr Monday, August 3, 2009 12:20 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 12:19 AM
  • This is a distirbing point. Unfortunately i'd rather not go through hundreds of folders to delete all these rediculous thumbnails that got created. How else can I delete them recursively? I have already done this and while I'm not trying to discredit your point I highly doubt I'll cause any major issues other then file discontiguity amongst files I could care less about. Since all those files were very small I didn't eat up much space. Still how would you recommend I have removed them? Incase they come back....

That folder does have duplication turned on so it's likely those thumbnails have been duplicated wherever windows decides to do that. Should I go clean that up also?
    Cliff
    Monday, August 3, 2009 12:24 AM
  • This is a distirbing point. Unfortunately i'd rather not go through hundreds of folders to delete all these rediculous thumbnails that got created. How else can I delete them recursively?

You would have to delete them through the UNC (\\server\share) path.  It might be WebGuide (I don't know since I never used it, but I do know it's horribly out-of-date by now, meaning that app hasn't been updated in over a year and 2 Power Packs ago.)

I have already done this and while I'm not trying to discredit your point I highly doubt I'll cause any major issues other then file discontiguity amongst files I could care less about.

The point is that, basically, the file structure of WHS doesn't work like other OSes and what you did could cause problems down the line (for example, you may start getting File Conflict errors).  Am I guaranteeing that it will happen?  No.  Could it happen?  Yes.
    Since all those files were very small I didn't eat up much space. Still how would you recommend I have removed them? Incase they come back....

All interaction with WHS shares is done through the UNC path.  You should try to find a way to remove them through that path (perhaps doing it from a mapped drive on your client, for example).  (Although, frankly, if it's that big of a concern for you, you should focus on removing the source of the problem.)

Cliff
    I wouldn't worry about it at this point (again, the less interaction with the server desktop, the better).  If what you did caused problems, you will probably find out by getting File Conflict errors in the Console.
    • Marked as answer by Cliffr Monday, August 3, 2009 12:45 AM
    • Edited by kariya21Moderator Monday, August 3, 2009 1:19 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 12:42 AM
  • Yea I just read up a bit about Drive-Extender. Unfortunately none of the docs mentions how file-deletion is handled. At any rate those files are no longer visible on the share and thats  ultimatley what I wanted to resolve.

I agree that WebGuide is outdated. I actually am not impressed with it at all and am somewhat dissapointed. I only installed it because it was listed as one of the "Most Popular Add-Ins" on the MIcrosoft WHS page. Since my WHS is new I got a little excited..... If those thumbnails come back I'll be removing WebGuide. Besides it streams music like garbage. Firefly is way better, if only I could get it to support Mp4...s

Thanks for your time Kariya.
    Cliff
    Monday, August 3, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Yea I just read up a bit about Drive-Extender. Unfortunately none of the docs mentions how file-deletion is handled. At any rate those files are no longer visible on the share and thats  ultimatley what I wanted to resolve.

I agree that WebGuide is outdated. I actually am not impressed with it at all and am somewhat dissapointed. I only installed it because it was listed as one of the "Most Popular Add-Ins" on the MIcrosoft WHS page. Since my WHS is new I got a little excited..... If those thumbnails come back I'll be removing WebGuide. Besides it streams music like garbage. Firefly is way better, if only I could get it to support Mp4...s

Thanks for your time Kariya.
    Cliff

One final suggestion:  if you ever get the bug to try out an add-in again, I would suggest you try it out in a VM first (and if it breaks something, who cares?  it's not your real server  :)  ).
    Monday, August 3, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Hadnt thought of that. I have esxi running at work so I may as well take advantage of it. :)
    Cliff
    Monday, August 3, 2009 1:23 AM
  • Digital Media Server is the one creating the thumbnails. I'm not sure why that service would be of use to me so I turned it off.

I have just confirmed that DMS creates thumbnails in the following format(for movies to).

".filename.jpg.jpg"

Most abnoxious thing ever. I wonder if it's a bug.
    Cliff
    Monday, August 3, 2009 2:02 AM
  • Digital Media Server is the one creating the thumbnails. I'm not sure why that service would be of use to me so I turned it off.

I have just confirmed that DMS creates thumbnails in the following format(for movies to).

".filename.jpg.jpg"

Most abnoxious thing ever. I wonder if it's a bug.
    Cliff

Digital Media Server?  I don't even have that service on my server.  Any chance that it's part of WebGuide?
    Monday, August 3, 2009 4:49 AM
  • It's not a part of webguide unfortunately. It was included with my Acer H340 and was installed when I turned it on. It has something to do with streaming media to Xbox/itunes/ect...

It shows up as DMS on the console. You can only enable or disable it.

Cliff
    Monday, August 3, 2009 4:53 AM
  • It's not a part of webguide unfortunately. It was included with my Acer H340 and was installed when I turned it on. It has something to do with streaming media to Xbox/itunes/ect...

It shows up as DMS on the console. You can only enable or disable it.

Cliff

Oh ok.  I'm not familiar with the EasyStore (I built my own server).  The OEM license uses Windows Media Connect Service to serve media files to devices (such as an XBox 360).
    Monday, August 3, 2009 4:59 AM