Add-ins for 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I was a V1 user for many years and have made the transition to WHS 2011.  I am thus far quite pleased with this new release save for a few extraneous problems with server backup.  However, there seems to be an enormous void in the add-ins available for 2011.  That said, I guess I have three questions.

Are any of the V1 add-ins compatible with 2011?  If so, does a list of such exist?

Sharing photo albums with V1 was a breeze using the Andrew Grant Whist add-in.  Is such an add-in available for 2011 currently?

The remote GUI and interface for moving files and folders to and from the server remains “clunky” for lack of a better expression.  In fact, it doesn’t even support folder uploads!!  I seem to remember a KB application that could be applied to the remote client that would allow use of Windows Explorer for file and folder exchanges.  Is this KB application still available?

Sorry for so many questions, but there seems to be a loss of versatility in the “upgrade” to 2011.  Any answers and help are appreciated.

W. J. Perry, Jr.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• No - no WHS1 applications will run on WHS2011 unless they are specifically rewritten.
    • WHIIST has been the subject of a recent discussion here and its specific functionality - I understand the author was planning a WHS2011 version but has now decided against it. I am not aware of an equivalent.
    • Not aware of that either for WHS2011!!

As you say, nowhere near as many add-ins as for WHS1.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:20 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Phil,

Thanks for the quick response.  I was afraid I would get the answer you gave me.  I am giving serious thought to an implementation of MS SharePoint Foundation 2010 on to the server.  Then configuring a simple blog, wiki and libraries that will allow sharing and communication between family members both local and remote.  I have seen a few other posts about doing this and am willing to give it a try.  Any suggestions in the regard appreciated.

W. J. Perry, Jr.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:05 PM
  • “Are any of the V1 add-ins compatible with 2011?  If so, does a list of such exist?”

Yes I concur that there is no replacement that I have found either. Setting up IIS is what the experts say needs to be done to create this public share.

I have never setup IIS and found that the book “WHS 2011 Unleashed (3rd Edition)” has a section on setting this up, I immediately ordered it from Amazon and will post if I was able to complete this with the book,

I  to was a fan of the WIIST software and wished the author would have completed the 2011 that he had started.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:32 PM
  • I have the book and find it to be quite good.  It covers in good detail the installation and some configuration of the SharePoint Foundation product.  It is by far the best reference book you will find on WHS 2011, hands down!!
    W. J. Perry, Jr.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:40 PM
  • I guess it is to late now but there is a section on opening it up for web pages???????????????
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:51 PM
  • There is a chapter, 12 I believe, that will carry you through the three ways to establish and create public sites on the server.  It will include the actual IIS instructions that are required as well as any firewall changes and router port forwarding.  Pretty complete actually.
    W. J. Perry, Jr.
    • Marked as answer by wjperry Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:46 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Is there an accurate list anywhere that shows what add-ins are completed and not in beta for 2011?

Does anyone have a list of the v1 Add-ins?

It would be nice to have a complete list of add-ins for both. Are there not enough 2011's out there that is keeping some from offering a 2011 version or why is it there are so few add-ins and new ones seem far and in between????

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Hi, SUNARISE,

Hope you already get what you want. Now you can find WHS 2011 Add-ins in muliple places:

Microsoft Pinpoint:

http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/applications/search/windows-home-server-w400464?q=

We Got Served:

http://www.wegotserved.com/category/add-ins/windows-home-server-2011-add-ins/

Thanks.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Ning Kuang[MSFT] Windows HSBS Program Manager
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:00 AM