counterfeit? RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure this is the right forum but, I suspect my sons XP MAY be counterfeit. 4 months ago he purchased what was billed as Retail XP Pro Full (version 2002) on eBay.  Yesterday he brings me the box and shows me a misspelling on the back. One occurrence of the word “edition” is spelt “deition”. Aside from that all package contents looks legit and well made. He tells me the install went just fine, no problems with Windows Update since. However, the front of the box says “For PC’s with Windows 95 or earlier, or PC’s without Windows” but on the disk it says “For Distribution with a new PC”. MGAdiag says its genuine but also says its volume license. When I attempted to check the selling eBay user he is now “no longer registered”. Something doesn’t seem right. Poor kid, he saved for weeks to buy XP.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hello Its_Just_Me_Only_Me,

From what you have reported, it's almost a certainty that this is a counterfeit product.  But, please take Carey's advice and post the mgadiag report.

It's a curious bit of pretzel logic, but technically you cannot participate in the WGA Genuine Offer that would provide you with a complimentary replacement copy of Windows until the WGA Utility identifies the installation of XP as "nongenuine."  You reported that, as of the moment, the installation of XP you have is still passing the WGA validations tests.

I would go ahead and file a piracy report at www.microsoft.com/piracy and call the Microsoft Anti-Piracy Hotline at (800) RU-LEGIT.  If the WGA system ever catches up to this particular installation, be ready to send in the materials for evaluation as hi-grade counterfeits.

Darin Smith, the Microsoft Moderator of this forum, may have better information on whether you can submit your materials for evaluation while the installation is being valdiated as Genuine.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:31 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:56 AM

The XP is using a Volume Licence Key.  VLK keys are not sold to rgular consumers, but are sold to large companies and such to be able to manage large numbers of XP installs.

So, this key is owned by some company and has leaked.  A Pirate then took the leaked key, printed up some convincing packaging (with some misspellings) and media and sold it on eBay. 

Currently the VLK shows as Genuine.  This means that either the Key's owner has not yet reported it as Leaked or Microsoft hasn't notice it leaked yet.  But at this point, I can tell you that it's just a matter of time before it gets blocked and will then pop-up as a Non-Genuine status.

I know this doesn't help now, but in the future, I highly recommend only buying Microsoft Software (or any software, really) from a trusted retailer or online store. It's the best way I know of to avoid being cheated.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:31 PM

All replies

• To help us troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.  Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:06 AM

From what you have reported, it's almost a certainty that this is a counterfeit product.  But, please take Carey's advice and post the mgadiag report.

It's a curious bit of pretzel logic, but technically you cannot participate in the WGA Genuine Offer that would provide you with a complimentary replacement copy of Windows until the WGA Utility identifies the installation of XP as "nongenuine."  You reported that, as of the moment, the installation of XP you have is still passing the WGA validations tests.

I would go ahead and file a piracy report at www.microsoft.com/piracy and call the Microsoft Anti-Piracy Hotline at (800) RU-LEGIT.  If the WGA system ever catches up to this particular installation, be ready to send in the materials for evaluation as hi-grade counterfeits.

Darin Smith, the Microsoft Moderator of this forum, may have better information on whether you can submit your materials for evaluation while the installation is being valdiated as Genuine.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 1:56 AM
  • Did a lot of reading at the “How you know its fake” page, learned a lot.

The disk is phony, never knew couldn’t have a label. Its golden, “holographic” looking.

I’m getting a CSI rush.

The COA looks real, fibers in the cutout and the thread appears embedded, although the cutout is not the exact shape. The printed material has to be real, it looks that good.

Will his system be “tagged” quickly?

I don’t want his lesson to be, “I’ll never listen to you again, Dad”.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23251
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {0B4996A5-1412-4C56-A745-BCA9B4429D3B}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{0B4996A5-1412-4C56-A745-BCA9B4429D3B}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY</PKey><PID>55274-640-8834005-23251</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1343024091-2049760794-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Biostar</Manufacturer><Model>I945C-M7B</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080410000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>31573DD70184F57A</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:14 AM

The XP is using a Volume Licence Key.  VLK keys are not sold to rgular consumers, but are sold to large companies and such to be able to manage large numbers of XP installs.

So, this key is owned by some company and has leaked.  A Pirate then took the leaked key, printed up some convincing packaging (with some misspellings) and media and sold it on eBay. 

Currently the VLK shows as Genuine.  This means that either the Key's owner has not yet reported it as Leaked or Microsoft hasn't notice it leaked yet.  But at this point, I can tell you that it's just a matter of time before it gets blocked and will then pop-up as a Non-Genuine status.

I know this doesn't help now, but in the future, I highly recommend only buying Microsoft Software (or any software, really) from a trusted retailer or online store. It's the best way I know of to avoid being cheated.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:31 PM
  • This may be off topic but you guys already seem to know the all rules. Just trying to save a little time.
    Can I legally peel off the COA from the back of my emachine and sell it along with the emachine motherboard/cpu and the emachine setup disks?

I'm assuming I could sell the PC intact.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:22 PM
  • This may be off topic but you guys already seem to know the all rules. Just trying to save a little time.
    Can I legally peel off the COA from the back of my emachine and sell it along with the emachine motherboard/cpu and the emachine setup disks?

I'm assuming I could sell the PC intact.

No.  The OEM license can only be sold with the entire computer it originally came with.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, September 25, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Very new to this site. Uptill now all I can see are MS stooges occuping this space.What I see  are FBI type agents constantly neutralizing your comments.I have not seen a single "Pirate" making suggestions to overcome the draconian, dictatorial,monopolistic, and should I ad- TOTALITARIANISM control of the Internet Highway.
    YOUR SAY
    CZARDOG    
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:59 AM
  • Hello czardog,

If you are having a problem with a WGA or OGA issue, please post your message in the appropriate forum section for your issue (Windows XP, Office, Vista).

If you have a comment to make, please post it in the Feedback section here:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinefeedback/threads
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:20 PM