Use original key for windows 7 Premium different language RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I need some help and advice.

I have got 1 brand new desktop with windows 7 premium (Duth language) on it.

But my customer asked if he could get 1 English version installed on that desktop.

Here is the thing i did. I installed the windows 7 primium English version on that desktop. And i use the same key that was on top of the desktop. (original Key with dutch premium version of windows 7)

When i entered the key ther was no problem at all. Everything is working correctly in English version.

But now windows is asking me to activate the windows 7 and tells me that is nog a valid key.

Now it's the same OS only different language, with the original key.

Is this normal ? And do i get to take this windows to be valid ?

Le Moustique
    Monday, March 8, 2010 12:07 PM

Answers

• I did the activation by phone with success. :-)

Thanks for the info

Le Moustique
    • Marked as answer by Le Moustique Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:40 PM

All replies

• COA keys require phone activation. To my knowledge the keys are not language dependent, some are region dependent. If his original install was premium N (for european countries) then the disk you used must also be a premium N disk. Hope this helps, either way try activating by phone when using a COA key.
    • Proposed as answer by Carl Stephens Monday, March 8, 2010 2:29 PM
    Monday, March 8, 2010 2:29 PM
  • You can't use a product key for a Dutch version to activate an English version. The key must match the language of the media.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Monday, March 8, 2010 2:31 PM
  • You can't use a product key for a Dutch version to activate an English version. The key must match the language of the media.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)

I don't know, I have seen differing views and opinions on this but have not seen any official language from MS. I just read all of the instances of the word language in the EULA and none refer to installing and activating in a different language. I suggest the phone activation using the COA.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Hi Carl,

you are right: there's some controversy about the language bindings of the product key. I did some research in the meantime, and even people from MSFT and MVP's are giving opposing answers, one says the keys are language-specific, the next one says language-independent. Most deployment instructions are also insufficient for this special question. Let's call it a deuze for the moment.
    There's one thing with the keys, however, that shouldn't be missed. If the Dutch version was OEM preinstalled (OEM_SLP), the COA on the sticker might only be used for this version and might not work with a (English or not) version from another distribution channel (RTL or OEM_NOSLP).
    If the activation by phone isn't successful, it could help to see the Diagnostic Report to track down a possible mismatch.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:01 PM
  • I did the activation by phone with success. :-)

Thanks for the info

Le Moustique
    • Marked as answer by Le Moustique Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:40 PM