Problems trying to restore backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have had to format my hard drive, and am now having problems with restoring:-

1. Not all the files are being restored - including my Outlook Express files, and a lot of .eml files ( what are they?). I also had quite a lot of software on my laptop, and that is also gone.

2. Every time I start with a backup disc, I get a blue screen on the first attempt.

3. I have 16 discs to be restored, but every time it asks me to insert the previous discs, starting from no.1. If I do this,  just nothing happens, and if I ignore it, it asks me to insert the next number, so that by no. 16, I have had to ignore all 15 of the previous discs.

After I reinstalled One Care, there were a large number of updates that I downloaded first. Could that anything to do with this?

Can anybody help me?  I have thought about formatting again, and this time not running the updates before I restore?.

Monday, November 17, 2008 9:08 AM

Answers

• Formatting and reinstalling the OS can be a good thing. However, something didn't go right. It may be as simple as missing or outdated drivers for the components on your PC. Typically, you need to install the chipset driver for your motherboard, and other drivers for devices installed on the PC. This is particularly true of a laptop. You may want to visit the laptop manufacturer's site for the latest driver updates for your specific model and get them installed.

You can, however, contact OneCare support for help. Based on the error, they may be able to pinpoint the cause of the crash so that you can focus on that in order to allow Restore to proceed.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:41 PM

All replies

• Getting a blue screen when trying to run the restore is an indication that there is something quite wrong with your Windows reinstall and may be due to a hardware problem. Why did you need to format the drive and reinstall?

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 5:06 PM
  • Thanks for your answer.

I thought formatting might be a good thing, as I had tried unsuccesfully to install Adobe Acrobat, after having had some Trojans on my laptop. The Acrobat kept installing without the printer working.  I had a cracked version of Acrobat on my laptop, which I could not get rid of, and my son advised me to clear all the acrobat files using RegSeeker. I thought I must have cleared some essential file, so formatting might be a good thing.  I also had a lot of rubbish on my laptop, and I did not know after a while what was necessary and what was not.

Is there a way I can clear up this mess? 

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:38 AM
  • Formatting and reinstalling the OS can be a good thing. However, something didn't go right. It may be as simple as missing or outdated drivers for the components on your PC. Typically, you need to install the chipset driver for your motherboard, and other drivers for devices installed on the PC. This is particularly true of a laptop. You may want to visit the laptop manufacturer's site for the latest driver updates for your specific model and get them installed.

You can, however, contact OneCare support for help. Based on the error, they may be able to pinpoint the cause of the crash so that you can focus on that in order to allow Restore to proceed.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Thanks so much for your help - I really appreciate it

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:35 PM