Credit Card payments showing up in Checking account as a deposit RRS feed

• Question

• When downloading online data from USAA Bank, I am getting checking account payments, as I should, and the same amount as a deposit, which should not be showing up in the checking register. I should only be getting the payment in the checking account and the credit only in my credit card (World MasterCard). Please advise, thank  you.

jmf

Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:28 PM

All replies

• Are you downloading from the USAA website or are you using PocketSense to download your bank statement?

Are the credit card tranactions downloaded from USAA at the same time that you download the bank statement? Or is the credit card statement being downloaded separately? 

Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:17 PM
  •  I am manually downloading the information (OFX) into Microsoft Money.

The USAA checking account and the World MasterCard are one download.

What is PocketSense?

jmf

Sunday, February 12, 2012 2:39 AM
  • PocketSense is a free program/scripts (written in Python) that can go to the OFX servers of financial institutions that provide the server, and download OFX files into Money. That way you don't have to go to the website. http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/ is the main website, but there are others with helpful info. There are also hooks that can let you add a "scrubber" to modify problem download files.

It takes some setup effort, but it makes the download from possibly multiple sites on an ongoing basis easier. This is particularly useful with brokers that don't have a web download method.

Anyway, if you want to delve into the OFX file you are downloading from USAA to see if there is a problem there. My suspicion is that an entry is wrong in the file. Do you feel motivated for that?

Note that you normally want a credit card payment paid from a checking account to end up as a Transfer from Checking to the credit card account.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Yes I do want to establish a direct download using PocketSense, Microsoft Money is well worth the effort. As to the subject World MasterCard payment, it is not a transfer but "Credit Card Payment : World MasterCard." It was not a "transfer" category like my other card payments, thank you. I just recently updated to sunshine and this was not a problem in the past using the old version of Money. I changed the old entries to a transfer and the payments still show up as a deposit after a manual download.

jmf

• Edited by jmfprime Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:10 PM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 3:41 PM
  • "Credit Card Payment : World MasterCard" under the SPECIAL heading is fine. It is the equivilant to a Transfer. You would not want to use "Credit Card Payment" under the EXPENSE heading. Since you added the account part, I know you have the right one.

At this point, the easiest is to either Void or Delete the bogus entry from the checking account. We could work on pointing the finger if you like.

Regarding the PocketSense, I suggest that you download the files from the above link. Follow the instructions. This includes installing Python. Get back with any questions. http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/cal-learners-review-fidelity-401k-citi-card-and-vanguard-account-info/ is useful to find site descriptors to paste in to your sites.dat file.

You can start with just one account to prove the concept, and then add accounts.

I set up batch files for myself to automate things a bit. There is also an available script to push the button for you during download. You will see what I mean... just be aware that there will be an easy solution for that.

So give it a try. Check back if you get stuck or have a question.

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:36 AM
  • When I delete the bogus entry in my checking account it returns every time I manually download from the USAA site.

I will download python, install and customize for my banks. Thanks

jmf

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:11 PM
  • I suggest you Void instead of Delete.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Amex worked fine, but neiter the credit card or the checking worked at USAA. Do I need to make a separate entry for the checking account and the credit card if they are in the same institution? I tried changing the appver from 1700 to 1900 as advised  by the above web site but no luck. I also made sure that the checking account had two zero's in front of it. Once I get this correct and do not choose the option to "test," will the "update" option automatically update the accounts directly within Money? I guess I'm just wishful and need to use a batch file. My old copy of Microsoft Money is still able to access USAA directly by just clicking on update.

jmf

• Edited by jmfprime Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:52 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:25 AM
  • Yes, its a separate entry for each account, even at the same institution.

I haven't done anything with USAA. You might want to see http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/2010/08/replacing-microsoft-money-continued.html and look for the post "Thrall Oct 10, 2010 08:48 AM" (tho the time may differ for you). Also see Ron's posts.

I am suspecting that you will use the site descriptor you have for your checking, and you  will need another with AcctType:CCSTMT for the credit card. You would give that second site descriptor a SiteName of maybe USAA_CC. There might even be another change... you don't have a working Money installation that downloads from your USAA credit card, do you? If so, collecting a log of that could be useful in seeing if some other aspect needs to be changed.

Anyway, if you get the checking working, then on to another. Your successes will help others in addition to you.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:24 AM
  • It's working, tell me more about making the update slick. What we need is a patch for Money that links the update button to "Getdata."

jmf

• Edited by jmfprime Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:14 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:22 PM
  • I am glad you have some success. Please list your successful site entries (<site>...</site>) if one or both differ from that listed. Ameridan will be able to pick that up for other USAA users to use. The site descriptors do not have any account info.

Ameridan has come up with  Ameridan’s addon package to PocketSense that allows you to run these scripts (and review your Online investment data) from within your Money program. http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/  I am command-window oriented, but you may find it useful.

If you have troubles, here are some things to consider. Try avoiding around midnight in the time zone where the financial institution is based. Note that the xfr folder contains the *.ofx files that were pulled in. Each getdata deletes the previous *.ofx files in that folder before getting more. If you "run" one of the *.ofx files, it will again be sent to Money [again?].

If you run in a command window, you can increase the history size by clicking the [C:\] icon in the top left, in the Options tab, increase the BufferSize to something big. This would let you scroll back to see the things that have whizzed by.

You could slow things down by adding a sleep() function to the scrubber.py file.

At the top of scrubber.py, replace
    import os, sys
    with
    import os, sys, time

Then replace one of the

f.close()
    lines with

f.close()
    time.sleep(10) #wait 10 seconds for debugging purposes.

Precede  the time.sleep(10) with 4 spaces to match the existing indent on the f.close(). In Python, indents are very important. That is how the begin...end of code blocks is identified. The choice of where to put the sleep is somewhat arbitrary. scrubber.py is a file that you might edit on your own for other site-specific purposes. The scrubber.py filename must be all lower case. While it does not matter for Windows, the case of the filename does matter for Python.

While you don't need it yet, Popdown2.py may be useful in the future when you get tired of having to press the pop-up buttons from Money. It would  be invoked from your batch file with a start popdown2.py line before doing the getdata.py. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7i1ax8fd7iy7y7v It will also be possible to tell Windows to run your batch file automatically if you are so inclined.

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:28 PM