none
Configuring Compute Node to a different Head Node RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have set of compute nodes configured for a specific head node. I have got a different head node now and want to bind the computes nodes the other head node.

Is that possible now to configure the compute nodes to the other head node without uninstalling and running the HPC Pack Setup again?

Regards

Aravindakumar.V

• Moved by Don PatteeModerator Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:04 PM (From:Windows HPC Server Developers - General)
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Aravindakumar,

Yes. Please change the value of registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HPC\clustername to your new head node on these compute nodes. Then reboot the compute nodes. And verify that environment variable CCP_Scheduler gets a new value after the reboot.

Michael

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.

I tried the approach you have mentioned, I changed the registry entry to point to new headnode and after restart the environmental variable is not updated with new head node value.

Then I manually changed the environmental value as well and did a restart.

Now I tried to add the node through node.xml. I got error message below in the provisioning log

Time Message
    2/23/2012 3:17:21 PM The Management service encountered an error while performing a change on the node: Access by head node Domain\headnode2 to node Domain\computenode2 is denied. This can occur if you are adding workstation nodes that are not in the same Active Directory domain as the head node, and you did not specify the fully qualified domain name of the head node when installing HPC Pack on the workstations. Check the operation log in the Administration Console for more information. 

But both machines are in same domain and Active Directory.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Thanks 

Aravindakumar.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:57 AM
  • I would just run a clusrun command to uninstall the HPC Pack from the head node (quiet mode)  to the CNs and then attach the nodes to the new head node using psexec using a quiet install...a lot easier than modifying the registry keys in all your nodes.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Hi Aravindakumar,

Sorry that I missed your previous reply and didn't get back to you till today. Could you tell me how you manually changed the environment variable? Could you also do a search of your old headnode name in your registry table to make sure it's not left anywhere?

Restarting the HPC management service on CN might be easier than rebooting.

Please let me know if this could help you.

Michael

Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:35 PM