Recovery partition not being backup up and not appearing on the "Customize Backup" dashboard screen/WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Thinkpad T61 with a 160Gb HD.  There is a C partition of 143.46 GB (NFTS, Active) and a SERVICEV001 5.59 GB Fat32 partition with no drive letter assigned.  The second partition says "Healthy (EISA Configuration).

My problem is that WHS 2011 is not seeing the second partition, so it is not being backed up.  On the Dashboard/Backups/Customize backup for this computer, only the C drive is shown as on option.   I want to install a bigger HD using restore, but don't want to lose my recovery partition. 

Anyone know why the second partition is not visible/available for backup, and what I could do to solve the problem?  Thanks.

Thursday, June 7, 2012 3:36 AM

Answers

• Only NTFS partitions are supported for backup and restore; it will not be possible to back up your FAT32 partition.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:38 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:38 AM
  • No version of Windows Home Server has ever supported backing up FAT32 partitions. This is because the backup engine uses Volume Shadowcopy Services (VSS), which makes use of the transactional nature of the NTFS file system and so doesn't work with FAT32 partitions. This is normally not a problem, because FAT32 partitions haven't been created (by default) by Windows for probably 10-12 years now. FAT32 is frequently used on small flash drives and for manufacturer's recovery partitions; in the latter case you could in theory dispense with the recovery partition entirely, since you will have a backup of the client in it's fully configured state. 

• Marked as answer by agatl1 Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:09 PM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 4:03 PM

All replies

• Only NTFS partitions are supported for backup and restore; it will not be possible to back up your FAT32 partition.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:38 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Thanks Ken.  Just to satisfy my aging mind, is that a difference between WHS1 and WHS2011?  Thanks for the help.
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 11:36 AM
  • No version of Windows Home Server has ever supported backing up FAT32 partitions. This is because the backup engine uses Volume Shadowcopy Services (VSS), which makes use of the transactional nature of the NTFS file system and so doesn't work with FAT32 partitions. This is normally not a problem, because FAT32 partitions haven't been created (by default) by Windows for probably 10-12 years now. FAT32 is frequently used on small flash drives and for manufacturer's recovery partitions; in the latter case you could in theory dispense with the recovery partition entirely, since you will have a backup of the client in it's fully configured state. 

• Marked as answer by agatl1 Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:09 PM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to know the issue got fixed. Thanks for your time and marking.

@Ken: Thanks for your time and effort! Good day~

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 8, 2012 6:37 AM