Tune up defragmentation RRS feed

• Question

•  

I understood that the defrag  using the tune up facility would only do my C Drive. At the end of the tune up it showed my external USB drive "I" as having a completed defrag.

The other odd thing is my Diskeeper facility which was permanently enabled will have defraged the drive yet running tune up says the drive is heavily fragmented even after 3 successive runs. Very odd.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:05 PM

Answers

• It appears that something changed in 2.0 that all attached drives get scanned, including USB external. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I know it isn't configurable.

Windows Defrag and Diskeeper, as well as other Defrag utilities, have different detection and arrangement strategies, so one program will report all is well and the other will report that the drive is heavily fragmented.

Personally, if you are happy with your 3rd party defrag, ignore the OneCare report from Tune-up and keep your fingers crossed that we can turn it off one day as has been requested many times.

-steve

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:22 PM

All replies

• It appears that something changed in 2.0 that all attached drives get scanned, including USB external. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I know it isn't configurable.

Windows Defrag and Diskeeper, as well as other Defrag utilities, have different detection and arrangement strategies, so one program will report all is well and the other will report that the drive is heavily fragmented.

Personally, if you are happy with your 3rd party defrag, ignore the OneCare report from Tune-up and keep your fingers crossed that we can turn it off one day as has been requested many times.

-steve

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Thank you for that helpful reply. I have in fact gone for the 90 day trial so I think I'll give it a few weeks. At the moment it looks neat and is very simple to use, very much a set it and forget it program which does not get in the way with lots of nag screens and the like.

The advantage when compared with running say a free anti virus is the built in everything but really the AV is the only true new component when set against the things currently available in Vista. So it's convenience + the AV or do things manually + a free AV. The decision will be interesting.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:03 PM