Please advise...Is this possible RRS feed

• Question

• I puchased a PC from Dell which came with XP std.

Since I don't like XP std I installed XP Pro instead, but as it turns out the CD that I used wasn't genuine.

Instead of purchasing a new XP Pro license can I just purchase for an upgrade from XP std to XP Pro, considering that I already have a XP std license which I am not using.

Thx,
    M

Friday, August 11, 2006 3:49 AM

Answers

• If you do not wish to reformat your hard drive and reinstall the Dell Windows XP Home Edition version that originally came with your Dell computer, you can acquire a WGA Kit by visiting: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx and clicking on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, a button will appear to click on for instructions on how to obtain the WGA Kit.
    Friday, August 11, 2006 11:56 AM

All replies

• If you do not wish to reformat your hard drive and reinstall the Dell Windows XP Home Edition version that originally came with your Dell computer, you can acquire a WGA Kit by visiting: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx and clicking on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, a button will appear to click on for instructions on how to obtain the WGA Kit.
    Friday, August 11, 2006 11:56 AM
  • Unixxx,

IMO the WGA kit is a better value if you are considering purchasing XP Pro rather than going back to the XP Home license that came with your Dell.  Here's why:

1.  The "normal" retail price for an XP Pro retail upgrade is $199.  Occasionally I have seen them advertised in the USA at major electronics and office supply retailers for $149-179 with rebates.  The best price I've ever seen was $99, but that was just once.  The WGA kit is $149 USD delivered.

2.  The WGA kit is a Full Retail license for XP Pro.  This means that it is not tied to any particular computer and can be moved from one computer to the next without limit, as long as it is activated on only one computer at a time, and it does not need any sort of qualifying previous installation of Windows in order to install.  This type of license offers you the most flexibility in installing and using XP.  The XP Pro retail upgrade is an upgrade and will always need a qualifying previous installation of Windows or the CD for same to install.  Therefore it is a less "liberal" license for XP.

Friday, August 11, 2006 4:39 PM