Drive Letter Assignment Removal.... RRS feed

• Question

• I do not like the drive letters assigned to the shared folders.  At a minimum the screw up the scheme I have been using for years, and otherwise I would prefer to assign my own as needed.

How do I get rid of all the assignments WHS has done?  Just edit the shares?

I could figure it out, but am trying to set up my beta quickly in between a couple of other things I HAVE to do and need to get it up and running.

Thanks for any help.

bc

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:02 PM

Answers

• Shares are still exposed as shares. However, in Vail each share is a separate NTFS volume, with its separate drive letter, assigned from the end (Z:, Y:, X: etc.)

Bulat Shelepov, Test Lead (Drive Extender), Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:44 PM

All replies

• Please don't try to remove them, as it would break Windows Search functionality, along with some scenarios that depend on it. We will have safeguards in the final release that would restore drive letters if they're somehow removed.

We don't like drive letters either, but search doesn't work across mount points at the moment, so we had to make a hard decision here.

Bulat Shelepov, Test Lead (Drive Extender), Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:16 PM
  • As I'm unlikely to run the beta personally, just read reviews and comments ... are all shares now exposed as drive letters?  Are they also still exposed as shares?  I ask because I'm not big on having a bunch of drive letters ... actually, what I want to do is expose all the shares under 1 share so it's easy to mount everything on another computer.  I'm not much for libraries, I like managing the files in the paths they exist in.  Currently, I have to do mapped network drives to the various shares as I can't map my server directly as a mapped drive

That all said, I don't care about search so....

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Shares are still exposed as shares. However, in Vail each share is a separate NTFS volume, with its separate drive letter, assigned from the end (Z:, Y:, X: etc.)

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Hrm ok, thx for the quick response ... for all my yelling and griping, you are doing a great job of responding ... even if I don't like all the answers.  FYI - If I do setup a Vail server, my first task will be create like 100 shares and see what happens ;)
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:41 PM
  • You can't. Consequently to the above, the max number of shares is limited by the number of available drive letters.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:54 PM

Ah, does this mean that Vail will/should work better with various online/cloud backup software that can handle drive letters but didn't work so well with shares? (CrashPlan is one that comes to mind).

-dave

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:36 AM
  • David,

It seems to me that it would, yes. :)

That said, I still don't like cloud backup, because nobody ever thinks about how long restoring will take, or how much bandwidth their ISP allows before they start charging an arm and a leg (or cut you off entirely). Or how expensive a significant amount of cloud storage may be

I like cloud storage for critical files much more. Something like Mesh or Skydrive offers a relatively small amount of cloud storage, with trickle sync in the case of Mesh. Mesh is superior (in my opinion) in that you can have local copies of everything. With Skydrive everything is in the cloud, so no Internet means no files.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:34 AM
  • The backup part that interests me more is making sure my photos are taken care of should the house (+ homeserver) ever burn down - not impossible as we are in a bushfire area. While my wife may have time to throw the wedding album into the car with the kids, I don't think she'd want to try and lug the server out of the house too if she needed to evacuate :-)

Restore time in that scenario wouldn't be that important so much as the fact that they can be restored (eventually). Fortunately my ISP just throttles my speed down to 64K should I exceed my monthly quota instead of charging for excess data.

But I agree with you about Mesh - it's really good for having local copies of files I'm using currently. I also know a guy who used it to restore all his work files after his laptop was stolen. I think that was the third time it had happened so he was better prepared by then!

-dave

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:49 AM
  • So I have 16 shares already, including the 6 build in shares ... I can probably only have like 22 total meaning I only have room for 6 more.  I don't use the 6 built in ones and I can't delete them.  In v2 will I be able to?  22 shares max seems pretty low to me.  I divide in several ways and works great right now.  I also create shares for a handful of dedicated group of files ... this makes them easier to access instead of digging into subfolders in shares.  Will v2 allow deleting existing shares?  If not, why not?  Those folders aren't really special aside from their icon.  Thx
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:26 AM
  • If I understand correctly, the drive letters is a show stopper for me. Using Movie Collector I have hard-coded links to my "Movies"-share. Does this mean I have to manually edit 2000 links to a new share name?
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:36 AM
  • No. If you are using "\\servername\sharename" in the software you should be fine on either your client or server.

http://www.tomontech.com
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:01 AM
  • To make sure we don't have a language problem here: Either the client or the server, or both?
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:08 AM
  • It should not matter on what computer you use the software.
    http://www.tomontech.com
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Please don't try to remove them, as it would break Windows Search functionality, along with some scenarios that depend on it. We will have safeguards in the final release that would restore drive letters if they're somehow removed.

We don't like drive letters either, but search doesn't work across mount points at the moment, so we had to make a hard decision here.

I'm going through similar situation at work ... we are putting 2 apps together to form a solution and one didn't doesn't have functionality that the other needs.  Even as a small company, we decided to make the better decision of adding the functionality instead of making a hack.  This isn't a dig to you WHS folks, you obviously have little control over other groups.  But I think this speaks volumes about where MS puts WHS in the scheme of things.  I can't image mount points are all that hard to do, perhaps harder than I think, but someone could of had it done in the last 6mo.  :(
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:57 PM