Windows Live OneCare question RRS feed

• Question

• Right now I have AVG antivirus one my computer as well as my sons laptop. I am thinking about trying Windows Live OneCare but I have a few questions first.
    - Do I have to download windows live onecare on both computers or just the desktop?( his laptop is connected through my router, wireless)
    - we also have a xbox 360, will it protect that also from the program installed just on my computer?
    - I have always used nortons, but have had some trouble with it lately, this is why I have AVG, but it slows down the computer something terrible. Does OneCare slow things down as bad as nortons and AVG?
    - and finally is this a good programed campared to other antivirus programs?

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:49 PM

Answers

• Hi, Jeannie72.

Each computer would need a copy of OneCare (or other protection, such as your current AVG) installed on it. One PC can't protect another as they are independent from each other, even if they are on the same network.

The Xbox will not be protected by OneCare, nor is there are protection available as it is a "closed system" meaning that you can't install anything on the Xbox.

Before installing OneCare, you must completely remove AVG and any traces of Norton. I'm not aware of an AVG "cleanup" tool, but download and run the Norton cleanup tool -  

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

It is entirely possible that traces of Norton on your PC along with an active AVG product are the reason for the slowness. You should not have two security programs running at the same time providing active protection. In my experience, AVG doesn't tax a system as much as the Norton products, but your mileage may vary. I find OneCare to be quite well behaved, though there are cases reported where people are seeing slowness due to OneCare, particularly at startup or during a Tune-up or scan. Usually, slowness can be traced back to conflicts with other software or low resources on the PC.

"Good" can only be provided based on opinion. Yes, I think it is good. It is not the best that you can buy, but it is easy to use and provides good protection and some other features that you may like. Do keep in mind that OneCare is an end of life product. It will no longer be sold after the end of 2009 and will no longer be supported after 2010. You can purchase a subscription now and it will be fully supported for up to 3 PCs for 12 months, but you will not be able to renew OneCare after that. You will receive an offer to switch to the new free product which will only provide virus/malware protection when it is available later this year.

You are welcome to try OneCare on one of your two PCs for up to 90 days for free. if you don't like it, remove it and try something else. But first, I'd check to make sure that there isn't some other issue (such as a conflict with AVG and Norton) that is causing your slowness issue before going ahead with removing AVG and trying OneCare. Your other PC can continue to use AVG until you decide to switch on that PC, too.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:06 PM
  • You're very welcome. Security software does have a tendency to leave bits behind, hence the reason that vendors provide a brute force cleanup tool in many cases. OneCare has one, too. Since the programs install at a pretty low level of the operating system in order to provide protection to the file system and the operating system, services may be running and can't be stopped by the uninstaller, so they stay active.
    Good luck and hopefully the tool helped clean things up so that AVG runs more efficiently without taxing your PC now.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by Jeannie72 Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi, Jeannie72.

Each computer would need a copy of OneCare (or other protection, such as your current AVG) installed on it. One PC can't protect another as they are independent from each other, even if they are on the same network.

The Xbox will not be protected by OneCare, nor is there are protection available as it is a "closed system" meaning that you can't install anything on the Xbox.

Before installing OneCare, you must completely remove AVG and any traces of Norton. I'm not aware of an AVG "cleanup" tool, but download and run the Norton cleanup tool -  

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

It is entirely possible that traces of Norton on your PC along with an active AVG product are the reason for the slowness. You should not have two security programs running at the same time providing active protection. In my experience, AVG doesn't tax a system as much as the Norton products, but your mileage may vary. I find OneCare to be quite well behaved, though there are cases reported where people are seeing slowness due to OneCare, particularly at startup or during a Tune-up or scan. Usually, slowness can be traced back to conflicts with other software or low resources on the PC.

"Good" can only be provided based on opinion. Yes, I think it is good. It is not the best that you can buy, but it is easy to use and provides good protection and some other features that you may like. Do keep in mind that OneCare is an end of life product. It will no longer be sold after the end of 2009 and will no longer be supported after 2010. You can purchase a subscription now and it will be fully supported for up to 3 PCs for 12 months, but you will not be able to renew OneCare after that. You will receive an offer to switch to the new free product which will only provide virus/malware protection when it is available later this year.

You are welcome to try OneCare on one of your two PCs for up to 90 days for free. if you don't like it, remove it and try something else. But first, I'd check to make sure that there isn't some other issue (such as a conflict with AVG and Norton) that is causing your slowness issue before going ahead with removing AVG and trying OneCare. Your other PC can continue to use AVG until you decide to switch on that PC, too.
    -steve
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Thank you so much for all this helpfull information!!! I will be running that tool right now to see if there are any traces of nortons on my PC.
    I will keep all the information you gave me fresh in my mind and think about my choices very soon!
    Again Thank you !!
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:12 PM
  • Holy Moly!! I ran the clean-up tool and it found 12 different things of Norton's on my pc! they are now gone! for now I have AVG and I will be keeping that on there until I make up mind mind.

Thank you again for your help!
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:32 PM
  • You're very welcome. Security software does have a tendency to leave bits behind, hence the reason that vendors provide a brute force cleanup tool in many cases. OneCare has one, too. Since the programs install at a pretty low level of the operating system in order to provide protection to the file system and the operating system, services may be running and can't be stopped by the uninstaller, so they stay active.
    Good luck and hopefully the tool helped clean things up so that AVG runs more efficiently without taxing your PC now.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by Jeannie72 Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:03 PM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:01 PM