PC backup taking forever - Extremely slow RRS feed

• Question

• I've just installed WHS 2011 onto an system I've build and gone to backup my desktop PC.  I started it off at 8pm last night and by 7am the next day it had only completed 27%.  It's backing up about 100GB on the C: Drive and 500GB on the D: Drive.  So 600GB in total.  I'd would have expected my PC to be finished way before then.  Any ideas what might be causing the problem.

My WHS is as follows

Intel D525MW motherboard (Dual 1.8Ghz Atom CPU)
    4GB Ram
    2TB Western Digital SATA HDD

I should point out that copying files with file explorer via the WHS shares seems to work all ok.  Transfer rates seem to go at sensible speeds.

Any help gratefully appreicated.

Regards

Leonard

Friday, March 4, 2011 2:23 PM

All replies

• Wired or wireless connection to your Server?

What transfer rate do you get copying files with Explorer to the shares?

Friday, March 4, 2011 2:54 PM
  • It's wired via gigabit ethernet.  I get approx 60mbps a second via ethernet using explorer.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:32 PM
  • The initial backup usually takes a while.  I would let it finish, and then watch the speeds of the next backup to occur for that computer.  It should be much faster.
    D.W.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 4:05 PM
  • It's wired via gigabit ethernet.  I get approx 60mbps a second via ethernet using explorer.
    Yes, that all sounds right. Suggest you do as below and let it finish.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 4:59 PM

That explains. At this rate you are backing up about 6 MBytes/sec.
    To initially backing up 600GB of data you would need (600*1024)/6 secs (over 28 hours)

From there WHS will only backup changes for subsequent backups so your daily backups will take only a fraction of this.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, March 4, 2011 11:56 PM
  • There must be some mistake! Transferring  at 6MB/sec over 1GBit Ethernet is much too slow - it should be much closer to 60 MB/Sec.  Leonard, did you really mean 60 mega bits per second? If so there is something wrong!
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 1:15 AM