none
Bought new PC with Windows 7 - want to sell (2) old XP licenses (1) is OEM the other is stand alone RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought a new HP PC loaded with Win 7!  Wow - it really runs well!
    I want to sell two unnecessary Win XP licenses on two different PCs
    Here-s my problem - one XP license is OEM.
    I don't know how to match my OEM disk and Key Code with the OEM machine?
    Is there a way to look up the Win XP CD code somewhere on the PC?  If so I can match my CD with each machine.

Alternatively, is there a way to "read" the XP Key Code on the XP disk, using my new Win 7 PC?  Our would that be a mistake to put the Win XP disk in a machine that has Win 7 on it.

Thanks for the help - 

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:53 AM

Answers

• Hello jksulli,

A computer with an OEM license for XP installed must also have the Certificate of Authenticity with the Product Key affixed to the computer.  Use a keyfinding utility such as Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to ensure that the installed product key is identical to the product key on the CoA.  When you sell this computer, make sure that the XP CD that reads "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of the PC." goes with the computer and the affixed CoA.

BTW, once the OEM license is installed on the computer, it is not permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement to separate the two items (computer and XP license) for separate sale---once OEM XP is installed, can only be sold as part of that computer system.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:53 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Hello jksulli,

A computer with an OEM license for XP installed must also have the Certificate of Authenticity with the Product Key affixed to the computer.  Use a keyfinding utility such as Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to ensure that the installed product key is identical to the product key on the CoA.  When you sell this computer, make sure that the XP CD that reads "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of the PC." goes with the computer and the affixed CoA.

BTW, once the OEM license is installed on the computer, it is not permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement to separate the two items (computer and XP license) for separate sale---once OEM XP is installed, can only be sold as part of that computer system.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:53 AM
  • Thanks for your comment Dan - for the OEM license, I may give that PC to my dad.

I know how to use Belarc advisor (as recommended by the following post) - but that still does not solve my problem - the problem is to pair the CD's with the correct CoA. 

Its 7:30 a.m. EST - I have to run to work - I will finish this reply later.

Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:34 PM
  • Hello jksulli,

If the CDs are genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation CDs, they are not paired with specific CoAs in the sense that each CD has one CoA's product key on it and it will only work with that product key and no other.

There are no Product Keys on the CD.

Installation discs and product keys are specific to product (Windows, Office, etc), version of product (Windows XP or Vista or 7), edition (Windows XP Home or Pro or Media Center or Tablet), and license type (volume or OEM or retail upgrade or retail full).  Within the narrowest of these parameters, the discs will interchange with product keys.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks again - I can clearly see on one disk: "For distribution with a new PC only."  I'll assume this disk belongs with the PC I plan to give to my Dad - the other "Academic" XP disk belongs to an even older PC that I previously gave to my Dad.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Hello jksulli,

The one that reads "For distribution with a new PC only" is  the disc that goes with an OEM license, and that goes with the Certificate of Authenticity that has a Product Key printed on it, and this CoA should have been removed from the package and affixed to the computer that got the license that is represented by this CoA.

As a rule, Academic licensed software always comes in a retail box/package.  The CoA  is on the boxtop of the retail package and does not have the Product Key printed on it.  The PK is on a yellow-orange label affixed to the heavy paperboard folder that was inside the retail box.

Hope that helps!
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:10 PM