Excessive disks & time for backup RRS feed

• Question

• I started using One care in November for my home (non-business) computer.  I have done the required backups which I have done as "Express".  Every time I do an "express"  backup - it takes upwards of 5-6 DVD's and almost 5 hours to do. I am currently up to 24 DVD's of "Backup" since November.

Any ideas as to what (if anything) I am doing wrong and what I can do to speed this procedure up..would be appreciated. 

Saturday, March 15, 2008 5:31 PM

Answers

• With 2.0 the default settings for backup will backup a whole lot of file types. Each time backup runs, it will backup new and changed files and this can be a whole lot of data. Review your backup plan by going to Change Settings, Backup.

Modify the backup settings with the link in the lower left, and then select the plan for the current PC. Review the types selected for "what" and change the settings as you wish. Note that "other" will be quite a few files in most cases. You may wish to exclude locations and files from backup if you want to reduce the amount of data being backed up.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:38 PM

All replies

• Same here and I am curious to see what the problem could be. Mine started after being updated to 2.0. Glad to see I am not alone sorry!

Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:19 AM
  •  

I just wanted to add that before 2.0 I could backup on one cd-r. I think for a whole year I only used two discs and I believe the only reason for that is because I did an R&R on WLOC. My very first backup with 2.0 after the upgrade/update, required me to use a DVD-R which has a lot more space allocated. I have since only backed up new and changed files but it still takes forever and seems like it is doing a new backup every time which might required  a new dvd everytime. Is it possible that it is backing up my whole computer? I thought it was just for personal files but maybe there was a change that I didn't understand. I don't download a lot and do not have that many programs on this computer so I am thinking that it could be a problem with doing a new backup every time instead of the express that I check?
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:48 AM
  • With 2.0 the default settings for backup will backup a whole lot of file types. Each time backup runs, it will backup new and changed files and this can be a whole lot of data. Review your backup plan by going to Change Settings, Backup.

Modify the backup settings with the link in the lower left, and then select the plan for the current PC. Review the types selected for "what" and change the settings as you wish. Note that "other" will be quite a few files in most cases. You may wish to exclude locations and files from backup if you want to reduce the amount of data being backed up.

-steve

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:38 PM