Adding hardware: NIC and P-ATA Controller RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Having trouble getting WHS CTP to recognize/accept newly installed hardware.

1) An older Silicon SiI0680A - PCI to 2 Port IDE/PATA controller.

It shows up as new hardware, but WHS states that it can't find any usuable driver at the location I pointed it towards.

Drivers are those from SI's homepage, tried 1.0.0.12 from 1/24/2005, marked "this driver also works with 32-bit Windows Server 2000/2003."

The newest 1.2.26.0 from 12/26/2006 is no different, WHS can't use it.

2.) Bought a Gigabit NIC from the local electronics store.

Turned out to be a "TEL9900G" from www.mici.com.tw

WHS finds it and installs it as a "Realtek RTL8169" and uses Microsoft's driver dated 01/10/2002.

The included drivers cd is dated 2005, but when trying to install, the same scenario as above arises - WHS cannot find any usable driver to the hardware.

Any ideas?

Sunday, May 6, 2007 12:54 AM

Answers

• The BIOS for your MOBO wouldn't necessarily have any options for the controller since it is a PCI addon.

Also since the controller's BIOS shows up, then that is a good sign that it has been installed and recognised properly....(or something like that)

You stated that all the HDDs appear in the MOBO's listing, so I am going to assume that means drives installed on the PCI controller as well....since I could not get a manual anywhere on the Net to make sure about this particular device, my best bet would be that there is either a dip switch on the card or a setting in the controller BIOS that determines if the card is in RAID mode or not. This is also based on some search results I got that shows that almost all references to the card are as a RAID addon (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SY-SIL-133R&cat=CCD&cpc=CCDbsc).

I think your best option would be to install the RAID driver provided by Silicon (http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI0680a_rdrv1017.zip) and see if you get the desired results. I cannot think of any negative side-effects, since either the new card will be detected and the drives are available for use or it is not detected and you do not get your drives available for use....

Let me know...

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:14 AM

All replies

• No suggestions what to do?

I could really use the extra P-ATA connectors in order to add more storage.

Is the hardware to old?

I can buy a newer similar card, but that doesn't seem like the most efficient way.

And if the same behaviour remains, I'm still on square one.

Is there a known issue about WHS not accepting drivers for new hardware like this?

The NIC do work with the supplied WHS driver, but the newer one from the manufacturer could (possibly) mean better performance...

All help appreciated.

Monday, May 7, 2007 9:39 AM
  • We'll tackle the controller issue first...

If you already placed drives on to the new controller then one of your first troubleshooting steps is to check the BIOS and see if it is detecting the new controller you installed. You should see on the "General" tab of the  BIOS a listing of the drives as "First Primary Master" and the "First Primary Slave" and then the secondary versions of these and so on. The drives installed on the controller should be listed there too. If the BIOS is not detecting the controller correctly then no OS can use this and you'll need to look at the issue there. If it is detecting the controller correctly, then the driver installation process should be looked at. Verify the BIOS items and we will proceed from there.

As for the NIC, if it works then don't try to fix it!! ;-))  If you have any tools to test it with, try to verify if the NIC is passing data at GB speed.

Let me know....

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:47 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.

The Controllers BIOS shows on boot right after the motherboards BIOS (mobo is an ASUS P4V800D-X), can't locate any options there regarding any extra controllers and such.

All harddrives appear in the mobo's listing.

In Device Manager the Controller is listed as a RAID Controller with the yellow circle and black exclamation mark (no driver installed).

Pointing at any of the two driver versions downloaded, I'm getting the "Cannot install this Hardware" from the wizard.

Can the Motherboard's lack of option for any other means of booting be the culprit?

And I'll leave the NIC for now, it is working...

Monday, May 7, 2007 9:13 PM
  • The BIOS for your MOBO wouldn't necessarily have any options for the controller since it is a PCI addon.

Also since the controller's BIOS shows up, then that is a good sign that it has been installed and recognised properly....(or something like that)

You stated that all the HDDs appear in the MOBO's listing, so I am going to assume that means drives installed on the PCI controller as well....since I could not get a manual anywhere on the Net to make sure about this particular device, my best bet would be that there is either a dip switch on the card or a setting in the controller BIOS that determines if the card is in RAID mode or not. This is also based on some search results I got that shows that almost all references to the card are as a RAID addon (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SY-SIL-133R&cat=CCD&cpc=CCDbsc).

I think your best option would be to install the RAID driver provided by Silicon (http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI0680a_rdrv1017.zip) and see if you get the desired results. I cannot think of any negative side-effects, since either the new card will be detected and the drives are available for use or it is not detected and you do not get your drives available for use....

Let me know...

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:14 AM
  • Thank you for your time and effort cleeying!

That driver did the trick!

I must have been barking up the wrong tree, i.e. trying to install the wrong software.

Thanx!

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 8:43 PM
  • kool....

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:48 AM