Wireless PC can't find printer RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am not sure if this is addressed in another thread.

I have a printer on my 'main' PC, which is hard-wired to the router.  It is set to be a shared printer.

I have a secondary PC, which is wirelessly connected to the router.

Both PC's are part of the One Care circle.

When I search for printers on the 'secondary' PC, the system fails to find the printer connected to the 'main' PC.  I believe the error message is that the 'main' PC cannot be found - despite the fact that it is present in the One Care circle.

I have not been able to share printers before this, in any case - so there may be an issue elsewhere (maybe the router?)

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:55 PM

Answers

• The other circle functions I referred to were the fact that you can see the monitored PC from the hub PC and if its status changes, that is reflected in the hub. Also, if you were using centralized backup on the circle, sharing a backup location defined at the hub.

On the wireless PC, open OneCare and click on Change Settings. Go to the firewall tab and click on Configure Firewall. Make sure that it is identified as being Home or Work. If not, change it to be that instead of public network.

If that isn't the case, you may want to contact support - 

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve

Thursday, November 1, 2007 6:26 PM

All replies

• What operating systems are in use? Are either Vista X64? If the OS on one machine is X64 and the other is 32 bit, the printer cannot be shared. How is the printer attached - USB/Parellel? Do all other Circle functions work for you?

-steve

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:41 AM
  • Both computers are running XP, and both are Pentiums several years old - thus both are 32 bit.

The printer is connected via USB.

I can observe the 'secondary' PC from my 'main' PC - One Care knows when the other printer is off, since it is not connected to the internet.  I don't know what other Circle functions you are referring to.  I think that the other One Circle functions are active.

Is there some testing that I should do?

Thursday, November 1, 2007 5:02 AM
  • The other circle functions I referred to were the fact that you can see the monitored PC from the hub PC and if its status changes, that is reflected in the hub. Also, if you were using centralized backup on the circle, sharing a backup location defined at the hub.

On the wireless PC, open OneCare and click on Change Settings. Go to the firewall tab and click on Configure Firewall. Make sure that it is identified as being Home or Work. If not, change it to be that instead of public network.

If that isn't the case, you may want to contact support - 

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve

Thursday, November 1, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Both computers were in Home or Work in the firewall setting.

I installed the printer on the wireless PC, but then the wireless PC could not find the hub PC (wired).  THis has happened a few times, so I will try again later.  [I have not files a report, but sometimes the PC's cannot find each other.  I do not know why.  I tried to configure backup, but the wireless PC says this was controlled by an administator, so I could not change settings.  Again, I have seen this sometimes, so I just try later.]

Sunday, November 4, 2007 9:45 PM
  • Interesting, do keep us posted. The backup item would possibly due to backup having been configured on the hub PC, but the issue of need being able to see the hub seems odd.

-steve

Monday, November 5, 2007 6:19 PM
  • The latest:

I installed the printer on the wireless PC.  The hub PC noticed this, and added the printer to the hub PC.  (Naturally, it will never succeed in making that printer ready since it is not now connected to the wireless computer).

The wireless computer still does not recognize the hub PC - it cannot connect to this PC (error message).

I cannot configure backup using the hub PC to my external HD (centralized backup).  I have more than 25 GB memory available.  Could this be because I did set up local back up on the hub PC to this same drive?

Monday, November 5, 2007 11:12 PM
  • Sorry for  the delayed reply... I'm still concerned as to why the wireless PC can't recognize the hub. Have you reached out to support on this one?

25 Gigs should not be a problem for the centralized backup. What happens when you try to configure the centralized backup? I assume that there may be issues because your circle is not working properly with the laptop not seeing the hub. If you had the drive set up for local and you then change the backup plan to be a centralized backup, that should cause the local backup plan to be discarded.

-steve

Thursday, November 8, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Hello my problem is that I have 3 PCs. Deshtop #1, Desktop #2 @ a Laptop. I wrote Microsoft Live One Care. Just awhile ago and they told me that they could help me get my wireless printer running. I havn't called them up on the phone yet. But I'm going to if you can't help me on the internet. I have no icon on my Laptop I used to have one but some how it stays grey. And my Laptop was the only PC that worked with me wireless printer. I think I have the icons on both of my Desktops. But them are the ones that don't work at all. And now with my Laptop icon gone I can not work with my Laptop. I hope you can help me. I havn't contacted any of your technicains yet. All of your teshnicains are very very good and friendly go slow with me and tell exactly what they are doing. They really know their job. I want to write their supavicer and tell them how good and friendly they are. But I havn't had the time since I'm alway on the phone with you. If I called them they would get hte problem fixed for me. So I will try it this way because I really don't to brother them I know they are busy with other customer. So lets see if we can get through this on the PC I know you are a technician. So I will brother you wrie back << ASAP >> Maybe you can tell me how to get to you with out going through. I hope I can with my 

E Mail & Password. And I also hope the email I gave you is secure. I sure don't need a lot of junk mail. I did say after I put my email & password on. That if I put any thing in those other the other boxes I would get spam. Thankyou for your time will hear from you later Bob.............

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:58 AM
  • Actually, I am not a technician, just an interested home PC user.  I have not solved the problem, I suspect it is something unusual.  Sorry that I cannot help you.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:16 AM
  • Hello, Bob. First of all, the email and password that you signed into the forums with in order to post is safe and secure as that is your LiveID.

Secondly, here on the forums, we are all customers helping each other where we can. In your case, I believe it would be best for you to work with OneCare support to get this feature working properly for you.

Thank you for your kind words about the support technicians. Their management, supervisors and many of the techs themselves do read the forum, so I know they will appreciate your complement.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:23 PM