Installing CRM 2011 VLK Media over CRM 2011 Trial RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We started the initial setup for a customer with the Trial of CRM 2011, knowing that we could easily insert a licence afterwards.

The customer then decided to use the SPLA licence model for which you need the VLK media kit (I was told by our hosting provider).

In the documents I find on partnersource concerning licences it clearly states that you can switch a Trial to a SPLA model.

I assumed you just had to do an in place upgrade of crm with the VLK media.

But he immediatly exits with an error and I found this in the log

MsiOpenPackage failed while trying to read property ProductLanguage
    09:22:28|  Error| MsiOpenPackage(\\DYN-010.quriusdynamicscloud.com\c$\Install.CRM\CRM 2011 VL\Server\amd64\Server.msi) failed.(error = 1638) (msiutility.cpp:CMsiUtility::GetProductProperty:249).
    09:22:33|  Error| MsiOpenPackage(\\DYN-010.quriusdynamicscloud.com\c$\Install.CRM\CRM 2011 VL\Server\amd64\Server.msi) failed., Error, OK
    09:22:33|   Info| InputResult: OK
    09:22:33|  Error| MsiOpenPackage failed while trying to read property ProductLanguage
    09:22:33|  Error| MsiOpenPackage(\\DYN-010.quriusdynamicscloud.com\c$\Install.CRM\CRM 2011 VL\Server\amd64\Server.msi) failed.(error = 1638) (msiutility.cpp:CMsiUtility::GetProductProperty:249).
    09:22:35|  Error| MsiOpenPackage(\\DYN-010.quriusdynamicscloud.com\c$\Install.CRM\CRM 2011 VL\Server\amd64\Server.msi) failed., Error, OK
    09:22:35|   Info| InputResult: OK

This is the same error we had when installing the RTM over the RC and we had to uninstall the RC.

But in this case we are talking about several servers including an IFD setup with 2 frontend servers.

I don't want to uninstall CRM and start from scratch, certainly because it's clearly stated that it should work in this document ( http://crmdynamics.blob.core.windows.net/docs/Pricing_Licensing_Guide.pdf )

Any suggestions or previous experiences ?

Regards,

Sven Peeters

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Just FYI, if you want to use other media you will have to reinstall CRM.

But the only thing you need from the VLK media is the licence (printed on the cd or in the file licence.txt )

Insert the licence as normal and voila, you got a VLK installation ready for SPLA use.

Regards,

Sven Peeters

Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:43 PM

All replies