What will happen to my backed up files if I move and save old files out of my computers.....??? RRS feed

• Question

•  I back up three computers with your Windows Live. Well, suppose I want to free up some space in any of my computers by moving (cut & paste) or deleting stuff like old files , old pictures , old songs, old videos, old PDFs, etc, etc out of my computers and put them into other old/new harddrives in enclosures or flash drives for archive purposes that will not be backed up by Windows Live anymore.  Will my next backup session in any of my three computers notice the missing files that were moved out and then erase the backed up copies of the missing (moved out) in my backup drives that are used by Window Live??  
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:42 AM

Answers

•  The previously backed up files will still exist in your backup catalog, but they will not be restored if you choose to restore all files to the most recent backup catalog condition.
    What this means is that to access the files from the backup, you'd need to perform a custom restore and select the backup date that you know included the files you have moved.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:41 PM