Os Drive Capacity WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any added advantage of using a large over a small size Hdd in order to install Whs 2011?

In Whs V1 it didn't really matter cause it just increased the total capacity of the pool.

Monday, November 7, 2011 9:53 PM

Answers

• No, as long as you meet the minimum system requirement of 160GB. What is not used by the OS (60GB) will show up as data storage which if you only use a small drive may not be very practicable for data stsorage. The only downside of using a large HDD for the installation is that if you ever need to re-install the D: will be reformatted also so you will need to ensure you have a backup (which you were planning for anyway!).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, November 7, 2011 10:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by PETTOULIS Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:55 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 10:26 PM

All replies

• No, as long as you meet the minimum system requirement of 160GB. What is not used by the OS (60GB) will show up as data storage which if you only use a small drive may not be very practicable for data stsorage. The only downside of using a large HDD for the installation is that if you ever need to re-install the D: will be reformatted also so you will need to ensure you have a backup (which you were planning for anyway!).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, November 7, 2011 10:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by PETTOULIS Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:55 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Thanks a lot. I greatly appreciate.

Does it make any difference if the drive is, for instance, a WD 640GB green

or should I use a 1TB WD Black that is lying around.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:57 PM
  • It doesn't matter, except as regards the amount of data you will be able to store on that drive. When you install Windows Home Server, it will use 60 GB (by default) for the OS, and the rest for the data partition, on which it will create the default shares. There's nothing magical about that partition, though; you could move everything on it to another disk (using the dashboard), remove the system disk from server storage, and use standard partitioning tools to extend the system partition into the remaining space on the drive if you want.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:31 PM