What does 'genuine' mean? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm confused.  If I buy a computer with WinXP installed, that software is licensed to the machine.  I can not remove it and install it in another machine.  It must stay with the machine.  However, if I sell the machine, that software is no longer valid in that machine. 

I have 2 used laptops that came with Win XP.  They both had coa on the bottom.  (unfortunately, my child removed one sticker so I can't prove that one!)  I have read recently that if I purchase a used computer with Windows installed, it should have TWO COA's on it.  The 2nd one being to license ME as a new user.

Am I correct in this interpretation?

If I am, then I am truly disappointed!  I have always gone to lenths ($$$!!!) to make sure that I am always using legally purchased copies of software, music, videos, etc.  The above mentioned interpretation would mean that Microsoft is insisting on selling the same item multiple times!  My local supermarket does that - if you bring an item in that was inadvertantly left in a cart, they put it back on the shelf & sell it again!  Which sounds dishonest to me.  A more ethical answer would be to send it to the local food bank.   Please tell me that I'm wrong about Microsoft!  I really, really want to be wrong about this one.....
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:11 AM

Answers

• Hello DebKM,

I am not a Licensing Expert, (this is a support forum) but the way I understand it, if a laptop came pre-installed with Windows and has a COA Sticker for that copy of Windows, That copy of Windows is licensed for that computer regardless of the computer's owner.

In th situation you describe, the COA or Certificate of Authenticity sticker, is Licensing that copy of Windows to that particular computer, not Licensing it to any particular owner. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 26, 2010 11:41 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hello DebKM,

You wrote, "Am I correct in this interpretation?"

Interpretation of what?  It would help if you could provide the original material you are interpreting.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:27 AM
  • Hello DebKM,

I am not a Licensing Expert, (this is a support forum) but the way I understand it, if a laptop came pre-installed with Windows and has a COA Sticker for that copy of Windows, That copy of Windows is licensed for that computer regardless of the computer's owner.

In th situation you describe, the COA or Certificate of Authenticity sticker, is Licensing that copy of Windows to that particular computer, not Licensing it to any particular owner. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 26, 2010 11:41 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:41 PM