Causes of enterprise text fields to change from lookup to text and vice-versa RRS feed

• Question

• We are running project Server 2007 and are having random occurances of the definition of enterprise test fields (task & resource) changing from a staright text to lookup and vice-versa. This happens randomly by project and field within the project).  in each instance the data that was populated in the field is blanked out on every task or resource depending on the type of field.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what may cause this to happen would be appreciated.

Thansk,

Dan

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:57 PM

Answers

• Dan:

Yous state "for instance we ppopulate the resource assignment text1 with a value represnting the company that the assigned resource works for. If this field is turned from a basic text field (no lookup, no formula) all of the pre-existing values are set to null since the re is no lookup table associated with the field.

Your mention of "text1" in the above makes we want to clarify that we're talking about Enterprise Custom Fields becasue there is no "text1" enterprise field. This would be a local custom field.

In your shared client environment, does everyone have a stable profile to work with? I could see local global file corruption or instability causing this type of issue.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi dfeigen115,

this behaviour sound very strange.

So, have you local custom fields with the same name of enterprise custom fields or similar ambiguos scenario between custom fields?

Have you any macro/psi app that work with these fields?

When you say "the data that was populated in the field is blanked out on every entity" it seems that it's not possible to read lookup table values or the value is not present in the lookup table, so you get empty value (null reference). If you try to select a new lookup table values, is it possible or you have no lists? 

If a lookup table value is deleted, you get a empty fields in entity reference.

I hope this can help you,

Best Regards

Paolo O.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Dan --

Is your Project Server 2007 system (including each user's Microsoft Project 2007 desktop software) current with all Service Packs and Cumulative Updates.  At one time there was a problem with custom fields with lookup tables getting scrambled, but this was fixed in either an SP or a CU.  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Dale, Paulo;

in answer to your questions:

• according to our IT folks, we are current as of the December CU, this has happened as recently as yesterday
    • we have Project Pro installed on one remote desktop. All users connect to it and perform all scheduled updates via it.
    • These aren't local custom fields, but the enterprise fields - of which we use a lot (text, flag & number) for instance we ppopulate the resource assignment text1 with a value represnting the company that the assigned resource works for. If this field is turned from a basic text field (no lookup, no formula) all of the pre-existing values are set to null since the re is no lookup table associated with the field. Similarly we've had enterprise cost and number fields that are defined as having a custom atribute of formulas being set to custom atribute of "none".
    • with regards to vlaue being "blanked", if the text field has been populated, when it is "converted" to a "lookup" field, all prior existing values are deleted or set to null.
    • We do have several PSI processes that run on a regular basis against all active schedules (125-150 scheudles), 99% of the time there is no issue, but when it does arise, it impacts our reporting and other processes.

If you need more info, please feel free to ask -

dan

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:55 PM
  • Can you relate this to fields that have are required versus not required fields? I have seen some problems with required fields where projects or resources have null values for these fields. If we can't determine a pattern and steps to reproduce, it would be a better strategy to open a case with MSFT support.
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, March 28, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Gary, each occurance has been to a field defined as optional. As you noted reproducability is a key, but as I've noted to our IT guys (who would opene the tkt with MSFT), it is purely a random event and I don't have access to the "corrupt my schedule" menu option.  During the week prior to openningn this thread, it happened on 2 diffeerent projects and impacted 3 different fields, since then I haven't seen an occurance. 

Thanks for the input.

Dan

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Dan:

Yous state "for instance we ppopulate the resource assignment text1 with a value represnting the company that the assigned resource works for. If this field is turned from a basic text field (no lookup, no formula) all of the pre-existing values are set to null since the re is no lookup table associated with the field.

Your mention of "text1" in the above makes we want to clarify that we're talking about Enterprise Custom Fields becasue there is no "text1" enterprise field. This would be a local custom field.

In your shared client environment, does everyone have a stable profile to work with? I could see local global file corruption or instability causing this type of issue.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Gary,

yes, these are enterprise custom fields, ie in the resource usage view, we woud insert the column "text1". we've had several different field definitions "change".

Dan

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:37 PM
  • I am having a similar issue.  We are using several local custom fields, many with formulas, a few with lookup tables.  When I import my project from ProjPro 2007 to the server, everything appears fine until I close, check-in, and re-open the file - Many of the fields are then set to lookup tables with null values and therefore all of my data is gone.  I have SP 3 installed for both the server and the desktop client.  I do not yet want to migrate all of our local custom fields over to enterprise fields.  Any solutions?  Are there some hidden settings / hotfixes I'm missing?  This seems to be a serious issue.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:34 PM
  • Hi Hellen,

We have a client that is experiencing the exact same issue. Have you been able to find any solution to this? has anyone found any solution to this at all?

It seems this is a huge bug, and no one has any idea how it's happening.

Thanks.

Monday, April 2, 2012 5:58 PM
  • We haven't had any instance of the problem for a while (fingers crossed). We've not changed any proceses or customizations, although at this point I know we are current on CUs. Whether there was a fix in the CU for this (we didn't see any reference to it or any similar issue) or not I'm not sure. We'll be converting to MSP Server 2010 early June, so hopefully we've seen the last of this particular issue.
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 5:13 PM
  • I can also confirm this is is happening in our environment. After installing SP3 and the Dec 2011 CU, this started happening.

My personal opinion here, but if people would not mark their own responses as answers, that might help get more accurate or even correct answers. Not trying to offend you Gary, but if you are asking questions in your reply, I can't see how it rates as the answer to the question. I am ok if you disagree as I am not trying to offend.

• Edited by Quized again Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:23 PM wrong word
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:52 PM
  • This is a bug in the SW that will be addressed in the August 2012 CU for the 2007 product. I cannot say that is why you have the problem, just that it was a bug noticed in the 2010 product that also exists in the 2007 product.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:22 PM
  • We are operating on v2010.  We have not yet updated to SP2 (though, that is supposed to happen tonight).  We have a very complex IMS that is 38MB and 5000 lines and we loaded it into our server.  This IMS has local text fields that are defined for things like CLIN and OBS.  These fields can have multiple values, delimited by a comma.  When the file is loaded into the Server, everything looks fine.  It is not until you reopen the file that 4 of these text fields are redefined to blank look-up tables and consequently all data in those columns is lost. 

I have written another tech note where flag fields were getting whacked.  I suspect there is a similar problem here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/002d7a11-4c38-4f38-872f-e46334a81918/losing-flag-settings?forum=projectserver2010general

Does anybody know how to fix this once and for all?  This is a nasty bug and really puts the stability of this Microsoft product into doubt.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:17 PM